Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

machine shop beat up my bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default machine shop beat up my bearings

Just got back from the machine shop. Asked them to put in some new cam bearings which I provided. Upon inspecting the work they did I found a nice big nick in my rear cam bearing ( about 1/4" wide and long and 1 mm deep) right in the center or it. The machine shop guy said this wouldn't hurt anything but I said to fix it. The other bearings looked like the edges had some scuffing on them. Am I wrong to think this unacceptable? Or was the machine shop guy actually honest about it not mattering?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Most cam bearing are a bitch to put in which is a good thing to keep them from coming out and they typically get beat up on the edges, it would not of hurt anything.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't to worried about the edges, but the nick in the bearing surface really pissed me off. I imagine as long as it didn't extend to the edge of the bearing it may be okay, but seriously how can you manage to damage the rear bearing like that and then act like its no big deal? Not like you have to completely strip a motor down to replace it if anything goes wrong and then have a $475 camshaft get ruined.

Quick Reply: machine shop beat up my bearings