Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed. Cold engine knock and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed. Cold engine knock and power loss

I have a 2000 Z28 A4 that I bought about two years ago. About a month after I bought it I noticed that when you are doing a light or medium acceleration and you reach 50mph, you can feel and hear a sudden power loss, almost like if the engine is being choked. I guess an example of it is like when you have the AC is on and it accelerates slower. That's what it feels like but I don't have the AC on, it just does it on its own. you can really hear the power loss. If you do hard acceleration then you wont feel or get the power loss. it only does it when you do medium or light acceleration. it loses power from 50mph-60mph. After that it accelerates normally. I don't know whats causing it or if its normal. I also have a cold start engine knock but its stops knocking once its warm. I don't know if that might be the cause or not. The car has 93,000 miles so its not too bad. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you
Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When was it last tuned up? Any SES indicator(any error codes in computer)? Try cleaning your MAF with electronics or MAF cleaner. You should figure out if your knock is serious but that shouldn't cause that specific of an issue IMO.

Last edited by Mercier; 10-07-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Teching In

sorry I took long to respond ive been busy with work and school. no ses light and it hasn't been tuned at all since ive bought it. ive realized that the knock is more serious than I thought but the power loss has been going on a lot longer than the knock. ive had the power loss for over a year and the knock for a month
Old 10-16-2014, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

It can possibly be a blown head gasket. Are you getting any white smoke?

Quick Reply: Help Needed. Cold engine knock and power loss