Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

perimeter to center mount valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation perimeter to center mount valve covers

I have a 98 trans am. I recently purchased 243 heads that are center bolt style so i bought center bolt valve covers and brackets also. The center bolt valve covers that I bought have no rear pcv like my perimeter ones so my question is how will this work and what do I have to do
Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a plugged hole of sorts? Or a capped nipple where you might run a PCV valve inline? Some LS motors(LS6, LS2 at least AFAIK) have the PCV in the valley cover so may not have the provision in the valve cover. My LS2 has the PCV in the valley cover but also has a nipple on the driver side valve cover that is capped from the factory. It's pretty substantial in size...like PCV-ish.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Here is an example of what you are likely looking for(center bolt, with PCV):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Camaro-Firebird-Corvette-LS1-LS6-Center-Bolt-Valve-Covers-Pair-Used-OEM-GM-/311115025776?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item486fe68d70&vxp=mtr#ht_285wt_1124
Good luck!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mercier
Is there a plugged hole of sorts? Or a capped nipple where you might run a PCV valve inline? Some LS motors(LS6, LS2 at least AFAIK) have the PCV in the valley cover so may not have the provision in the valve cover. My LS2 has the PCV in the valley cover but also has a nipple on the driver side valve cover that is capped from the factory. It's pretty substantial in size...like PCV-ish.
Thanks for the reply. My valve covers look exactly like the ebay link you sent, but my valley covers do not have a pcv provison.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

If they are exactly like that, the PCV is on the right end of the bottom cover in the picture I believe. Your valley cover will not have the PCV provision.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

wait. but my old valve covers have the same hole in that area are you sure its for pcv? i bought a ls6 valley cover today hope that solves my problem.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

If not PCV, what else?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

If not PCV, what else?
yeah i think your right I was looking at a diagram and the pcv starts from there but also connects to another pvc provision on the other side valve cover and thats the provision i dont have. this is so confusing lol if you can find a diagram of what your seeing please send it to me. This is what im looking at

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...lw&fr2=piv-web
Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Well that's a little different as it is for forced induction but it's similar. Forget it though because it shows two ports on the passenger side valve cover. I don't think you have that. If you do, I don't think you need to be pulling from both sides; only PULLING FROM the side with the PCV valve.

Don't you have a metal tube/nipple of some sort on the other valve cover?

Think about it like this; you are sucking dirty air(oil vapor, blow-by, etc.) out of the PCV hole into the intake of the motor to be burned and keep that nast **** from building up inside your motor and destroying it. Blow-by is corrosive amongst other things. That creates a vacuum in the motor. For you to take that out of that side, fresh air has to be allowed IN the other side. That's the port on the other valve cover. You want that routed to the port on the throttle body OR into a nipple of sorts in the intake tract BEFORE the Mass air meter(MAF). The reason is that the MAF is what tells the computer how much air is being consumed by the motor. If you don't get the "fresh air" side of the PCV plumbed in before the MAF, that would result in some air getting into the motor that the MAF didn't *know* about and that's what you call "unmetered air." When unmetered air gets into the motor, it's basically the same as a vacuum leak. The computer doesn't know to add the matching amount of fuel and you end up running lean! Don't want that, right?

***You *should* put a catch can in between the intake and PCV to keep the oil vapor and crap from collecting in your intake but they don't from the factory so I guess if GM is OK with a dirty-*** intake who am I to argue.. I hate all that crap in there, myself. So much so I bought a brand new intake for my current project.

To summarize:

#1 - Hose from intake vacuum source to PCV valve sucks bad **** out of the engine.
#2 - Hose from other valve cover to throttle body or intake pipe AFTER intake and BEFORE MAF lets fresh air back into the motor.

Hope that makes sense; let me know if you need further clarification.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Well that's a little different as it is for forced induction but it's similar. Forget it though because it shows two ports on the passenger side valve cover. I don't think you have that. If you do, I don't think you need to be pulling from both sides; only PULLING FROM the side with the PCV valve.

Don't you have a metal tube/nipple of some sort on the other valve cover?

Think about it like this; you are sucking dirty air(oil vapor, blow-by, etc.) out of the PCV hole into the intake of the motor to be burned and keep that nast **** from building up inside your motor and destroying it. Blow-by is corrosive amongst other things. That creates a vacuum in the motor. For you to take that out of that side, fresh air has to be allowed IN the other side. That's the port on the other valve cover. You want that routed to the port on the throttle body OR into a nipple of sorts in the intake tract BEFORE the Mass air meter(MAF). The reason is that the MAF is what tells the computer how much air is being consumed by the motor. If you don't get the "fresh air" side of the PCV plumbed in before the MAF, that would result in some air getting into the motor that the MAF didn't *know* about and that's what you call "unmetered air." When unmetered air gets into the motor, it's basically the same as a vacuum leak. The computer doesn't know to add the matching amount of fuel and you end up running lean! Don't want that, right?

***You *should* put a catch can in between the intake and PCV to keep the oil vapor and crap from collecting in your intake but they don't from the factory so I guess if GM is OK with a dirty-*** intake who am I to argue.. I hate all that crap in there, myself. So much so I bought a brand new intake for my current project.

To summarize:

#1 - Hose from intake vacuum source to PCV valve sucks bad **** out of the engine.
#2 - Hose from other valve cover to throttle body or intake pipe AFTER intake and BEFORE MAF lets fresh air back into the motor.

Hope that makes sense; let me know if you need further clarification.

Good luck.
I do not have a metal tube/nipple on the other valve cover. But what ur saying makes sense.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting. Well you said you got the LS6 valley cover. You could use that as the PCV to intake vacuum and rig up the former PCV spot on the valve cover to be the fresh air from behind the MAF.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:35 AM
Staging Lane

Interesting. Well you said you got the LS6 valley cover. You could use that as the PCV to intake vacuum and rig up the former PCV spot on the valve cover to be the fresh air from behind the MAF.
yeah thats what im guna most likely end up doing. Thanks for the help tho bro. Appreciate it..

Quick Reply: perimeter to center mount valve covers