Sponsored by:

Crankshaft rotation after bolts torqued

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crankshaft rotation after bolts torqued

Hey guys,

I just got the crankshaft back in my block after getting everything machined and cleaned. I've been going through the How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines book as I do this, as this is my first engine rebuild, and came across a point of confusion.

After I have the crank in, with no main caps, I can rotation it perfectly fine, nice and quick. Great. I put the main caps on, torque the bolts down the 15ft/lbs, and then hit the front and rear of the crank a good few times to seat the thrust bearing, making sure to end with it having been pushed forward, then torque down another 80 degrees.

Now, the thing that is confusing me is how much resistance should there be with rotating the crankshaft? If I take a 1/2" torque wrench set to 10 ft/lbs and turn it, I can turn it nice and easily, great. If I turn it by hand, there is a little effort to get it turning, but it still turns. I don't feel any actual resistance in the sense of something dragging, it just feels more like it's....sticky, I guess. Like the assembly lube is causing a high viscosity.

My only reason of confusion is I've read in some places people say that it should turn perfectly fine, no problem, and they seem to imply that it should turn with 0 effort, and others say that it should turn with a bit of resistance.

I've uploaded a video of me rotating it, both with the torque wrench and by hand. If somebody could tell me if that looks right, I would appreciate it. Last thing I want to do is to get everything together, assembled and all, only to find that there is something wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXed...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Shigun; 11-17-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of torque wrench are you using? Looks like a click type in the video, hard to tell.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft rotation after bolts torqued