New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Help ASAP please

Old 05-27-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Gauge Help ASAP please

Hello everyone my tripple gauge piller arrived today and i am going to start to buy the gauges for it. I was going to get Autometer Phantom gauges. Water temp, 0-100psi Fuel pressure and later on Boost. The question i have is a water temp gauge really worth it? i know the stock temp gauge is off but is it that inacurate where i would need a aftermarket one? and would the aftermarket gauge even work differently then the stock one because the cars computer would still send the same temp reading to the aftermarket gauge wouldnt it? so they would read the same temp. someone please correct me if i am wrong because i was under the impression that the cars computer sent false readings to the stock temp gauge after Chevy got a lot of complaints about engine temp fluxuations (sp?) so wouldnt the cars computer just send the same info to the aftermarket gauge or am i missing something here? i am going to order the gauges when i get some replies to this thread.

Thanks alot
~Tom
Old 05-27-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

My after market water temp guage reads around 30* cooler than the stock. You don't tap into the same sending unit for the after market guage, so it gets its own reading (not from the pcm).
Old 05-27-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MOBE
My after market water temp guage reads around 30* cooler than the stock. You don't tap into the same sending unit for the after market guage, so it gets its own reading (not from the pcm).

ohhh ok i see what your saying ok cool so then it would be a good idea to have one and get a true reading. cool thanks alot MOBE gonna order them right now
Old 05-27-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Let me add that I do have a 160* t-stat. That being said, and my car being a '99, the stock guage reads around the 210 mark (like they all do) and the auto meter guage reads around 180 and operating temp.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

01 Z28/160* tstat and i agree with mobe. mine on the dash reads about 205, yet the pillar has me around 180... huge difference. I also did oil pressure and trans temp. trans temp there is nothing to compare it to, but I have noticed that the oil pressure is pretty consistent with the dash pressure, so hopefully it will be replaced with boost by summer

coker

Originally Posted by MOBE
Let me add that I do have a 160* t-stat. That being said, and my car being a '99, the stock guage reads around the 210 mark (like they all do) and the auto meter guage reads around 180 and operating temp.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

My stock temp gauge always reads 210, but my autometer gauge fluctuates between 190(highway) and 230(stop&go traffic). A 40 degree difference is big enough for me. By the way, I plugged mine into the passenger side head by the #8 plug.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:23 PM
STF Veteran

Ditto to JBIRD. Definately worth it.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, get the water temp gauge!!! It's a great thing to have. You will be suprised how crappy the stock gauge is.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The water temp gauge is the second most important gauge after the Tachometer if you intend to push your car for more than 13 seconds. I will be adding an oil temp gauge soon.

Check out
discussion about gauge

Some good info there. Check out my post, same Username. I listed the autometer PN for adapter above starter motor. Easy install!
Old 05-27-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

when adding a water temp gauge - I used the port on the RR side of the head - the port is small and requires a adapter for the sending unit
There are aftermarket adapters out there from places like autobarn - but the walls and head of the adapter are thin and snap off easily -
Contact AutoMeter - they make a beefier adapter for the head - I will look up my contacts name - he was in R&D and they were aware of the problem - adapter was like 7.00 - hope this helps

Search this Thread