New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Camaro ever. Used. What should I do first?

Old 12-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Camaro ever. Used. What should I do first?

So I joined the forum and I know you guys and girls will be quite helpful. My dad just purchased a 2001 Camaro SS from it's original owner. A friend he has known for years. It was driven by his friend's wife so I imagine the 100k it has on it are pretty tame. He asked him what's been done to it and the guy said nothing. (Of course oil has but no maintenance issues I'm guessing). What should we do to this thing/look for? Just general information on the car: It's an automatic, one owner, SS package (WU8 code) T Tops. That's all I have on that subject. My initial thoughts are to go over all the basics. Brakes, tires, change all the fluids I'm assuming, plugs, plug wires. Help me step in the right direction. My old man is a if it aint broke don't fix it type of guy so I know I'm going to have to do all this stuff!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by thkbaron
So I joined the forum and I know you guys and girls will be quite helpful. My dad just purchased a 2001 Camaro SS from it's original owner. A friend he has known for years. It was driven by his friend's wife so I imagine the 100k it has on it are pretty tame. He asked him what's been done to it and the guy said nothing. (Of course oil has but no maintenance issues I'm guessing). What should we do to this thing/look for? Just general information on the car: It's an automatic, one owner, SS package (WU8 code) T Tops. That's all I have on that subject. My initial thoughts are to go over all the basics. Brakes, tires, change all the fluids I'm assuming, plugs, plug wires. Help me step in the right direction. My old man is a if it aint broke don't fix it type of guy so I know I'm going to have to do all this stuff!
When I first bought mine the previous owner said that he had kept up with the maintenance on it but just for piece of mind I changed all the fluids, plugs,fuel filter/air filter just the basic things to know for sure it was done.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

how does it drive,performance wise. any hesitation,rough idling ?
How does it handle,suspension wise. any groans,knocking over bumps,weak shocks ?
how does it brake,noises,grinding,pulling to one side ?
How are the tires and what brand ?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Assuming there aren't any obvious issues that require immediate attention, the very first priority should be a coolant flush unless you have records that show when this was last done. If there is any chance that it still has the original coolant, then you'll want to get that out right away at this point.

All the other normal maintenance items listed above (fluids/fliters/tires/belts) are also a good idea.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's good that it's all stock as you don't have to wonder about extra things that were done to it. I'd ask the previous owner if they ever did work on the AC system or recharged it along the way. When I got my 1999 SS 3 years ago I couldn't get many particulars from the original owner either. As it turned out the car did have an AC leak on the compressor. I doubt he changed anything but the engine oil so I did all the fluids and filters as well. The coolant was 13 years old (12K miles) as it looked nasty and brown and had the wrong polarity/charge. Good thing was that the insides of the radiator were clean as whistle once we got a close look at it all drained out.

Other things you could do would be to get some silicone grease and lubricate hood, door, and hatchback hinges/pistons. And some lubricant for all the soft rubber hood, door and TTop seals. Check the mini-spare tire in the right rear of the hatch area for proper pressure....hopefully it's there along with the jack. The PCV system is known to leak on these cars as the rubber hoses degrade. So you could check those for leaks or excess oil entering your air intake system. If the radiator has never been cleaned I'd get under the front of the car sweep/blow out the front of the radiator. I ended up installing a flexible mesh screening material to keep the bugs from getting stuck inside the radiator fins. I've done that on every "fun" car I've owned for the past 23 years. Sounds like your car has a current emissions sticker or it might be a concern if any emissions/engine codes are locked in. The car had to be serviced somewhere for the past 13 years. You might be able to get some history on the car from that service center, even if it's just fluid changes. 13 year old shocks and suspension components (and the underside in general) should get a look from a trusted mechanic. If the car was driven in winter this would be an opportunity to try and stop significant undercarriage rust formation.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-18-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Fluids and plugs...the rest will let you know when they need to be fixed. These cars do a good job of holding together.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Dad just brought it home today. When we get a dry day up north here I'm sure we'll take it out. It's never truly been driven in the winter so I'm hoping rust isn't an issue. If we need to change shocks on it does anyone have a good suggestion for that? He's not going to want super expensive I'm sure. I have bilsteins in my dodge ram and love them. At least it looks like I was on the right page as far as what to do to it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Keep em coming and I'll keep looking. I'll let you guys know when I find out more.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do end up needing shocks, Bilsteins are a good choice. Check out the "suspension and brakes" forum for numerous posts concerning shock choices.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/
Old 12-22-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

I have a suggestion. Sign off this site, forget you ever heard of it, and enjoy the car. You will save a lot of money.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

go over everything make sure everything is fine them start modding.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I have a suggestion. Sign off this site, forget you ever heard of it, and enjoy the car. You will save a lot of money.
X2this dood before he does anything!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wanna buy some headers???

Lol, just do the normal maintenance and enjoy it!
Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
X2this dood before he does anything!
For real it's no joke. I am $3200 into my Suspention so far and not done.

I will tell you thought, there are not to many things in life that can beat going fast as ****. No matter how much it costs...
Old 02-05-2015, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

But really I have some 1 7/8 headers brand new in the box (BNIB) for you if your looking. Headers, exhaust, and a tune will get your close to 350 rwhp. Add a cam package on that and add another 25-40hp for the low low price of $1200.

Headers $400, exhaust $400, tune $400 (around those prices anyways)

Well so far we are at $2400 assuming All goes well. Now when it's not fast enough get some $1200-2200 heads and retune it

It's a never ending game= get a game plan
Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually ended up saving a lot of money by learning how to do mostly everything myself to the car. Plus the deals you find here are pretty good.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Wish someone had said that to me 14 years ago. I would be at a whole different level with my retirement plan.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Camaro ever. Used. What should I do first?