Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help-engine noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-engine noise.

Hey, new here long time reader first time posting. I have a 2000 Trans am, 95xxx miles,a4to m6 swap, no mods basically stock aside from the swap ,magnaflow catback and an egr block off. The problem is a tapping noise from under the engine ,by the oil pan at idle and only audible under 1500 rpms. It can mostly be heard on decelleration. On cold starts it comes on after the engine begins to warm. I have read till my eyes bleed and been all under the car with a stethascope. You can really seem to hear it throughout the engine. I was convinced it was a cracked flywheel but the clutch shop wasn't sure they warranted me out a new clutch due to uneven pressure plate seating and the noise is still there. The noise is rpm dependent but disappears after 1500 or so. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm pulling my hair out! Oh and oil pressure is fine 40psi at hot idle.

Last edited by celtsean; 01-05-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Here's the sound. I don't know if this video helps much, but it's about all could do with my iPhone. Thanks!!

Last edited by celtsean; 01-06-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?!??? I know stuff like this is hard to diagnose but...
Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

T56's are notorious for engine neutral rollover noise being transmitted into the trans from idle to around 2,000 rpm. Every car is probably a little different. But that noise is generally heard more through the transmission shift linkage and up into the shifter. If it goes away in neutral once the clutch pedal is depressed, it's a fairly likely cause. But that noise emanates from engine harmonics via the output shaft and then into the slop of the transmission gears....and finally into the shifter. If you don't hear any noise with the clutch disengaged, it's probably not a problem.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firebrian
T56's are notorious for engine neutral rollover noise being transmitted into the trans from idle to around 2,000 rpm. Every car is probably a little different. But that noise is generally heard more through the transmission shift linkage and up into the shifter. If it goes away in neutral once the clutch pedal is depressed, it's a fairly likely cause. But that noise emanates from engine harmonics via the output shaft and then into the slop of the transmission gears....and finally into the shifter. If you don't hear any noise with the clutch disengaged, it's probably not a problem.
Yeah,thanks for the reply. I already tried depressing the clutch it has no effect on the sound at all.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I dont know if this will help but try changing the oil to maybe something a little thicker.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Drag0
I dont know if this will help but try changing the oil to maybe something a little thicker.
Yeah, I've thought about that . I'm just a little apprehensive about using a 40 weight. I've read a ton of the oil war threads and they've got me worried about engine wear with a 40 weight. I think I might try the new german Castrol 0w40 . They say it is a thinner 40. Right now I'm using the 0w30 Castrol made in Belgium. I was using mobil one . Nothing seems to quiet this noise though.

Last edited by celtsean; 01-06-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Yeah try that it might help

Quick Reply: Help-engine noise.