New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls7 cam and mods for a 5.3 truck motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls7 cam and mods for a 5.3 truck motor

I have a 2012 gmc AWD savanna, I recently purchased a 07 zo6 ls7 cam and timing chain. it had less then 10,000 miles on it. I know that it can be used in my motor but I'm wondering what are the necessary complementary mods? I know that i will need a new set of lifter to match the cam and I'm sure i will need to have it tuned. What I'm wondering will i need to go ahead and replace the intake manifold and throttle body as well so that I'm getting the correct amount of air. Long term i would like to swap out the truck manifold and throttle body out for the ls style instead of the stock truck. Also i will end up doing a full exhaust system. Im not looking for insane power i just want to give my van a little more pep. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

This is my 2012 GMC savanna AWD. Redrum / Big Nig.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to find some headers and cold air filter kit. I would say change gears but don't know if help with AWD. Talk to a pcm programmer guy see what can do for you. Try talking to another guy on here doing a van conversion. Taking out tired 5.3 installing a 6.0. He trying to hop it up too. Screen name Fedupwbs.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Big stall and gears. Valve springs. Headers, tune. Lifters are probably fine unless you are high mileage. LS7 cam and 5.3 is not going to be happy in a heavy vehicle. You will lose a lot of low end power and only really gain above 4K..and how much are you going to be in 4,000-7,000RPM range in a van?

You can see what the LS7 cam does in a 5.3 here:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...st-comparison/

The gains up top look nice for sure but with -40lb-ft @ 2500 (and likely much more loss 1000-2400RPM), I just don't see you being happy with this cam in this vehicle. Now with 07 you have likely slightly better heads and a bit more compression bit that's not going to make the bottom end of LS7 cam much better at all IMO.

You can see a thread where we were discussing 5.3 in a car with LS2 cam and already the tq loss is a concern:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...am-01-lm7.html

Quick Reply: Ls7 cam and mods for a 5.3 truck motor