New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud grinding noise when i hit a bump

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud grinding noise when i hit a bump

Firstly let me start off with saying that i have a 2002 trans am ws6 6 speed with 120k miles. I bought the car 2 summers ago when it had about 107k miles and the rear end was bad. by this i mean that the pinion and seals were replaced and i got a new axles because the only one had alot of wear on it and it was leaking rear end fluid out of it. this summer my car starting making a grinding noise when i hit a bump. this grinding noise would happen very rarely and it was never predictable when it will happen. toward the end of the summer it started doing it more and more and now it does it everytime i take the car out. Once again it is never predictable sometimes I drive miles at a time hitting bumps in the street and sometimes little pot holes and it doesnt do it and other times i hit a small bump in the road and it grinds really loud ( my dad heard it from a block away one day when i was coming home from work ) a bock away is about 120+ feet. I read on this forum someone had a similar problem but it was their caliper ( the bolt cracked and it was rubbing the rim ) i took off all tires and calipers and everthing looked okay there was no damage to the rims, calipers were night and tight and i even pulled the rotors off to see if anything seemed out of place and it did not. Nothing was loose or had improper movement. The other thing is my e-break does not work it never did since i got the car and before the problem started happening. Has anyone had a problem similar to this or have an idea what can cause this? My transmission is solid no slips, no grinding gears, and it never pops out of gear when im driving it also shifts very smoothly. There are no leaks what so ever on my car. I have a borla exhaust with the clips and everything seems tight and no scratches or scrapes to it. The grinding noise is very very loud ( people driving next to me get scared because its so loud) and it seems to only happen when going 45 mph and under. the noise is always steady no matter the speed ( it happened today going about 10mph while in neutral) I figured it was my throw out bearing but i dont think so because it feels like its on the rear end passenger side and when i pump the clutch it doesnt do anything and the noise continues even when i come to a stop. The sound stops when it wants to and sometimes lasts up to 10 seconds and i have reduced / increased speed significantly in different cases and the noise is steady regardless. Ive spent hours reading forums and googling and i cannot find anyone with this sort of problem. This is basically my last chance in hope before i get raped by the mechanic any help is appreciated. Thank you guys in advance.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:38 PM

no one?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if the noise continues while the vehicle is at a standstill, it's something in the driveline between the driveshaft yoke and the crank pulley

Seriously, though. I can't think of a bump causing anything in the engine or transmission to make a grinding noise...
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM

ok so i took the car to a mechanic and he has never heard of this happening. I looked at the drive line between the driveshaft yoke and the and checked the pulleys and everything seemed to be ok nothing was loose or had much play. I have read on the forum that someone had this problem and it was a caliper that had a cracked bolt and when it would hit a bump it would grind the rim. I took all 4 wheels off and theres no sign of rubbing or grinding against my rim. I also read that someone had a problem similar to this and it ended up being a brake rotor shield that was rubbing I checked all rotors and they appeared to be undamaged and no signs of grinding or rubbing. I am literally lost I have read forums for weeks and no one seems to have this problem. I thought maybe it was my exhaust rubbing on something but there are no signs of any metal on metal damage due to rubbing. I was driving the car today hit a bump while costing at 25mph in neutral and it did it again for about 6 seconds I slowed down while pumping the clutch and it continued the whole time. I came to about a complete stop rolling at maybe 5 mph and it stopped. Everytime I hit a pothole or even a little bump with the passenger front tire it grinds, but only when Im under about 45mph and it does not matter what gear I am in. I have never heard of a problem like this and to see no damage or signs of rubbing is making me lose my mind. Anyone with even an idea of what could be causing this please chime in
Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Teching In

i just bought a 99 camaro and its doing the exact same thing and i cant figure it out!!! but mine is coming from driverside rear tire. im thinking wheel bearing. havent got into to it. but this is the closest explanation that i have found. what did you figure out??
Old 10-17-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by roads64
i just bought a 99 camaro and its doing the exact same thing and i cant figure it out!!! but mine is coming from driverside rear tire. im thinking wheel bearing. havent got into to it. but this is the closest explanation that i have found. what did you figure out??
​​​​​​ Just rebuilt the entire rear end with wheel bearings and all and mine just started it on the rear driver side so it may not be your bearings still trying to figure it out
Old 10-30-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by roads64
Have you checked the sway bar (anti-roll bar) links? If it's from near the tires, it's more likely you need a new sway bar links.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

^ He posted that up two years ago. Do you think he's still trying to find answer on here? Three years, three guys, one post each. Wow. This thread has "ground" itself to a halt.

Quick Reply: Loud grinding noise when i hit a bump