New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had clutch replaced with machined flywheel, but now car vibrates!!!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Had clutch replaced with machined flywheel, but now car vibrates!!!

Just had my car worked on here at my job at a high end dealership, clutch and then had the reae main seal leak fixed, but now i got the entire car vibrating!!! Any advice or ideas, car is a 01 ss with Ls7 clutch, headers, dyno tuned.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

WHEN does it vibrate???? Huge piece of info lacking.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You say machined flywheel, exactly what flywheel is it?
Old 02-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Vibrates while driving and in neutral aa well. Its a Ls7 flywheel, all parts are from Luk
Old 02-14-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At idle? At xxxx RPM? Does the vibration change with RPM?
Old 02-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

No it just vibrates period, talked to my das, he said its the clutch not aligned properly.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Huh. Like not aligned with the right tool when bolted on? I've found that any time I had alignment issues, it corrected itself the first time I ran the engine and engaged the clutch pedal. What do you think is not aligned properly?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

I've never had one fail, but could the pilot bearing have gone to **** causing the vibrations? I would assume a failed pilot bearing would cause the input shaft to vibrate like a crazy. Just an idea.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bjonesws6
No it just vibrates period, talked to my das, he said its the clutch not aligned properly.
I'm trying to think how the clutch disk wouldn't be aligned properly if the pressure plate was bolted down completely and the trans input shaft/bellhousing fully seated when installed...??? As Mercier mentioned, even if the disk wasn't perfectly aligned when bolted on, it would've corrected itself the first time the clutch was engaged and disengaged with the engine running.

Possibly the pressure plate bolts not torqued properly could cause the vibrations.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Have you eliminated easy stuff like they accidentally knocked off a plug wire or induced a miss in the engine by any other means? Knocked a hose off causing a vacuum leak? A dead miss will cause vibration and plugging things back in is pretty cheap! Broke a motor mount or trans mount? Trans mount is notorious for failure on those and not bad. Motors mounts I have heard are a real b/tch.

Pilot bearing would cause some noise when the clutch is disengaged but I can't imagine it causing vibration when the clutch is engaged(clutch pedal "out") because at that point the engine and transmission input shaft are turning the exact same speed..the pilot bearing/bushing isn't doing a thing at that point.

OP, you say it "vibrates, period." It occurs to me that if the clutch is causing this it is due to it rotating and being out of balance due to some kind of issue similar to what you mentioned..but this would change with RPM. Out of balance at idle may cause some vibration but that same vibration should be a lot worse or at least different at 3000RPM. So please do some homework and give us better info so we can help you.

Better yet, post a video of the issue at different RPMs with clutch in and out.

Last edited by Mercier; 02-15-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Yes it gets worse, sorry about being veg but yes gets worse at higher rpm. I've heard pilot bearin, but i didn't have any issues before bringing the car in but afterwards, this all happened.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Well short of finding something easy like I mentioned, time to take it back or start pulling the transmission and clutch. Have you spoken with the shop that did the repairs?
Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, they are finally getting to it tomorrow apparently, so ill be talking to the mechanic tomorrow again.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Any luck?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

Problem solved!!!!

Never, ever can you machine a flywheel of a ls7, or anything out of a corvette!!! Had to buy a new one and no vibration now!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

are the not machinable or did someone do a hack job ?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Problem solved!!!!

Never, ever can you machine a flywheel of a ls7, or anything out of a corvette!!! Had to buy a new one and no vibration now!!!
I was confused when you mentioned "machined flywheel" and LS7 clutch at first. That's why I first asked what flywheel you had, because I don't know how you would machine an LS7 flywheel. Just assumed you installed a brand new LS7 flywheel and clutch set. Why was the LS7 flywheel machined to begin with and who did it?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

My wonderful ppl here at my job, told me to have it machined then after they did the research, which i should have done, they tell me, oh, you weren't supposed to have it machined...go figure,ill never take my car here again...lesson learned.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

My wonderful ppl here at my job, told me to have it machined then after they did the research, which i should have done, they tell me, oh, you weren't supposed to have it machined...go figure,ill never take my car here again...lesson learned.
Was it a brand new flywheel?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

In all fairness, most OEM flywheels are capable of being turned like a rotor. IMO, the person doing the resurfacing should be checking for acceptable thickness parameters for the part..and if said part is not designed to be rebuilt/tweaked, in that research it would have likely indicated a red flag directly or by having no published data. Even when I bring stuff to O'Reilly they check the book and mic the stuff and tell me if it is safe to turn...and will /turn/ me away if not safe. Yeah. I just did that.
At the end of the day, you got the problem solved. Good deal.

Last edited by Mercier; 02-28-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had clutch replaced with machined flywheel, but now car vibrates!!!