New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these switches for on my 99 Firebird?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these switches for on my 99 Firebird?!

So, i am new to the LS1 world as i have recently purchased a 99 TA with an LS1, since i have bought i have been absolutely addicted to reading about LS1s and Firebirds and mods and all the fun stuff that comes with owning something like this. I have looked all over and cannot find what these switches were for in my car, it came this way from the dealership, and they are not hooked up to anything anymore, ( i popped the little plate off to check) anyway, if one of you guys have any idea of what they are or were for, any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails What are these switches for on my 99 Firebird?!-img_3354.jpg   What are these switches for on my 99 Firebird?!-img_3354-1.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Looks like they were added on and if they aren't hooked up to anything I don't think you'll ever know what they were put there for unless the wiring is still there somewhere.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by krg123
So, i am new to the LS1 world as i have recently purchased a 99 TA with an LS1, since i have bought i have been absolutely addicted to reading about LS1s and Firebirds and mods and all the fun stuff that comes with owning something like this. I have looked all over and cannot find what these switches were for in my car, it came this way from the dealership, and they are not hooked up to anything anymore, ( i popped the little plate off to check) anyway, if one of you guys have any idea of what they are or were for, any help would be appreciated!

someone added them and they look like crap! get another bezel so it looks stock again!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
someone added them and they look like crap! get another bezel so it looks stock again!
This. Those are cheap switches from any parts store, maybe for aftermarket lights, etc? Get a new bezel and clean it up
Old 02-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
This. Those are cheap switches from any parts store, maybe for aftermarket lights, etc? Get a new bezel and clean it up
That's what I thought, maybe lights, but they fit perfectly into the plate they are in so I thought maybe they came with some kind of kit.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I thought, maybe lights, but they fit perfectly into the plate they are in so I thought maybe they came with some kind of kit.
Previous owner likely took a dremel to cut them into the bezel.

Any switches I need for linelock or other, I put in the ashtray. If/when I hook up a bottle for N20, I will get an ashtray plate with switches so you can't see it with the lid closed.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Previous owner likely took a dremel to cut them into the bezel.

Any switches I need for linelock or other, I put in the ashtray. If/when I hook up a bottle for N20, I will get an ashtray plate with switches so you can't see it with the lid closed.
That was my best guess, line locks or lights, but there is no evidence of lights ever being anywhere on the car outside of the factory one, the car only has 95k on it and is in really good shape ( no cracks in leather or dash, no cigarette burns, paint not fading etc, so it has been garaged and taken care of) I don't think they were for nitrous as everything under the hood is stock with the exception of a k&n filter. What should I look for if it was for nitrous? Any easily spotted clues?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

That was my best guess, line locks or lights, but there is no evidence of lights ever being anywhere on the car outside of the factory one, the car only has 95k on it and is in really good shape ( no cracks in leather or dash, no cigarette burns, paint not fading etc, so it has been garaged and taken care of) I don't think they were for nitrous as everything under the hood is stock with the exception of a k&n filter. What should I look for if it was for nitrous? Any easily spotted clues?
Usually it's the wiring modifications that give away a nitrous shot. That and any small hole before the intake that is blocked/patched for a single nozzle dry shot.

It was probably something simple given your description of the car. You could even guess that the owner put them there "just for show." Hard to say.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Usually it's the wiring modifications that give away a nitrous shot. That and any small hole before the intake that is blocked/patched for a single nozzle dry shot.

It was probably something simple given your description of the car. You could even guess that the owner put them there "just for show." Hard to say.
There is no mods to the intake or any noticeable wiring mods, so I am pretty sure it's not nitrous, I hope so anyway, I know nitrous isn't exactly good for your engine. I just ordered a new bezel for 35.00 on eBay, I think it looks kinda tacky, and I don't plan on using them.
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be nitrous and line lock arming switches, aftermarket fogs, switch for the remote line to a subwoofer...

Without any wiring, kinda hard to tell
Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Uh......the switches are there to get the bitches, of course.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
Uh......the switches are there to get the bitches, of course.
That was my first though of the switches, bitches love switches!

Quick Reply: What are these switches for on my 99 Firebird?!