New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are ls2's only good for around 110k?

Old 02-28-2015, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are ls2's only good for around 110k?

Hey guys I know this is probably a stupid question however I need to ask it. I was a dyno earlier and mentioned an ls2. The guys there all said that ls2 's were junk and would not last very long due to an issue with their wrist pins. I had never heard this before however I found this rather alarming. Is this true? Have any of you guys heard anything like this before? Please advise guys. And thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Buddy has a Trailblazer SS with close to 200k...think that dispelled that myth
Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, every single LS2 in the world has a built in timer and when that hits 110k it goes off and tears the engine in half...

/sarcasm

Whoever you talked to clearly didn't know what they are talking about or have a very very very biased hate specifically towards the LS2 and is trying to bash them. They are no different than any other LS engine in terms of strength and reliability when it's properly maintained and tuned.

I would stay far away from that guy.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Buddy has a Trailblazer SS with close to 200k...think that dispelled that myth
This is very encouraging, I was afraid because I just bought an ls2 with 67k on it, they even questioned the mileage, asking if I had proof. I told them it was from a reliable person that bought a copart car that had a tree fall on it. They were still skeptical, oh well.

Originally Posted by redtan
Yes, every single LS2 in the world has a built in timer and when that hits 110k it goes off and tears the engine in half...

/sarcasm

Whoever you talked to clearly didn't know what they are talking about or have a very very very biased hate specifically towards the LS2 and is trying to bash them. They are no different than any other LS engine in terms of strength and reliability when it's properly maintained and tuned.

I would stay far away from that guy.
This was what I assumed, I also figured that if there was an issue with the ls2 there would have been some kind of recall or I would have heard a lot of noise about them I have heard of many people having issues with the ls7's and blowing them up from time to time but havent heard anything about ls2's.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

There may have been some with such issues, but that was just a lemon engine from the factory and it's certainly not the norm. I've never heard of such thing.

The LS7s yes that's true, but it's because of crappy valve guides in the heads causing them to drop valves and wipe out the entire motor. But even those were not the case on every engine and I believe was soon recalled and fixed by GM.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtan
There may have been some with such issues, but that was just a lemon engine from the factory and it's certainly not the norm. I've never heard of such thing.

The LS7s yes that's true, but it's because of crappy valve guides in the heads causing them to drop valves and wipe out the entire motor. But even those were not the case on every engine and I believe was soon recalled and fixed by GM.

That's good to know, is there s specific mileage one should try to stay under when buying an ls1 ls2 or ls3?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of my z's is at 243,000 and still runs strong and the 6.0 in my truck is at 190,000.

Those guys have some kind of ax to grind imo
Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by murphinator
one of my z's is at 243,000 and still runs strong and the 6.0 in my truck is at 190,000.

Those guys have some kind of ax to grind imo

One question, whats a z? I think your right, although they made it seem as if the 6.0 in cast iron form was solid, but the actual ls2's were garbage. Considering from what I was told (that they have the same internals), I guess they defeated their own bad info.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 69greyghost
One question, whats a z? I think your right, although they made it seem as if the 6.0 in cast iron form was solid, but the actual ls2's were garbage. Considering from what I was told (that they have the same internals), I guess they defeated their own bad info.
Z he is talking about his z28 camaro which is a ls1
Old 03-02-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I think your right, although they made it seem as if the 6.0 in cast iron form was solid, but the actual ls2's were garbage. Considering from what I was told (that they have the same internals), I guess they defeated their own bad info.
Hell, some of the earlier iron 6.0s (LQ4s) had weaker internals than the LS2, so that right there just tells me he's full of BS. And the later ones (LQ9s) had basically the same exact bottom end.

So why on earth would those be better I have no clue, but either way you seem to have concluded on your own what we are all telling you about this guy.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with everyone else, that statement is completely false regarding the LS2. If maintained very well and not abused, I'd say add roughly 150k-200k miles to that 110k mile figure for a stock LS2.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

A LSX might not last as long as some of the small Japanese brand engines that have tighter tolerances for example. Remember most of these are in cars that are weekend toys, and sit a lot and get driven hard and put away wet. A lot of them get modified which usually shortens engine life. Factors like these will shorten the overall life of them. The few main problems with them such as oil consumption with high miles and cold start piston slap, are not huge problems, but if you don't check and add oil could mitigate into larger problems later on. There are a lot of people who just simply neglect them and don't do maintenance. A well taken one should still get you 175,000-200,000 miles easily. If you do mainly highway miles you should get even more.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the 90's GM's target drivetrain life for all vehicles has been 300,000 miles.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since they seemed to be in love with the iron block I wonder if they tried to put an LS2 or similar together without a torque wrench...poppitty pop pop go the bolts! Some guys just don't want to make the leap to all-aluminum engine. I was skeptical myself and just about messed my pants first cam swap when I slightly cross-threaded a water pump bolt. With cast iron you barely have to worry about stuff like that and it does take a little stress out of the assembly process. Yeah; the LS1 was Al a long time before but obviously those guys have limited actual experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are ls2's only good for around 110k?