New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a ls2, what do you guys suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a ls2, what do you guys suggest?

Ok guys, got an ls2 with allegedly under 70k on it. We took the tranny apart and and it looked perfect on the inside, fluid wise and the overall condition of the internals. My question is with those miles and the signs I have seen in both pieces do I need to open it up and change the cam/springs, oil pimp,lifters, and any other internals, or should i just drop it in like it sits and not worry about it? At what mileage point in an ls motor does these internals parts become a must replace? The motor is of an ss trailblazer, from what I have heard the cam it comes with is pretty stout and responsive from the gate when swapped into a gen 1 f body car. Keep in mind its gonna be around another $2000 in labor and parts for the new parts and to get them put into the motor.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would do an aftertmarket cam and valve springs while it's out. You will get more of a muscle car sound and more power. But I'm a hot rodder so always looking for more.

It will definitely be stout as is, but a cam will still gain a large chunk of power.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I would do an aftertmarket cam and valve springs while it's out. You will get more of a muscle car sound and more power. But I'm a hot rodder so always looking for more.

It will definitely be stout as is, but a cam will still gain a large chunk of power.
id have some head work done too.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had mine out/apart again, I would have sold my 243s(LS2 heads) for $450-$500 and bought some ported heads for $1000-$1100. I was just too anxious to start making noise.

Very happy with the sound and powerband of the cam I installed and it was ground to be "max safe" with the stock LS2 valve springs. So just dropped in with no additional costs other than my own fairly uneducated tuning. Pretty good manners and good power if you aren't changing the heads. With heads above you should be looking at something bigger..like 230/235/600" range. But we're getting into fire breathing monster territory at some point and don't know your goals.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe do a valve job .get a new oil pump if you get a new timing chain .if you swap in a after market cam get better push rods .
Old 03-09-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Another option is L92 heads..you can pick those up for about the same price as you can sell your 243s. Would have to switch to a rectangle-port intake but you could probably work out a swap for yours. Would want a custom cam for those but still affordable.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came up with my attack plan for the motor. Before it went in I changed the timing chain and put in a high capacity oil pump. My next plan is to save up for some prc heads that will already have the springs and head work done to them. Then go cam and maybe even get a fast intake. Also I used an ls6 intake on the motor now. How does that sound guys?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds good. youll have room for more if you want too.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

That's going to be a really fun combo even in the first iteration in such a light vehicle. IMO, stock LS2 is underrated from the factory and a really stout package for what it is and what it costs in gently used form. BUT cam alone with 10.9:1 with those 243s would net you a noticeable and worthwhile difference and worth saving an extra few hundred bucks for a used 228 or so and would work well even with eventual heads.

What transmission are you running?

Are you fully willing to pull the car off the engine later when you do the heads/cam? I have seen a lot of guys do it, and some even almost "quickly" if you can call it that, but that alone has cured me of owning an F-body unless I found one for a silly steal already built. Or has heads/cam with the engine in the car been figured out?

Last edited by Mercier; 03-09-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a ls2, what do you guys suggest?