Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring and roller rocker questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring and roller rocker questions

Springs: How much wiggle room is there between max spring rating and lift of the cam?

Roller Rockers: At what point is an upgrade from stock recommended?
Old 03-07-2015, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In theory max lift is max lift. You have to figure the mfg is going to leave a *small* amount of overhead there and really you should leave a couple % yourself. I'd leave 5% overhead myself but your mileage may vary. For instance, I'm on LS2/6 springs for the moment and decided to go with ~.550" lift on the cam because LS2/6 springs are rated to .570" lift. I wanted to see what kind of power I could make from the stock springs since I am learning. Once my wallet recovers I'll be doing a little work on the heads and likely be at ~.620" lift on some dual springs(probably BTRs) rated for .660" and consider myself plenty safe.

I've read a lot of opinions on rockers..and they are all over the map. My plan is to stick with the stock rockers even with my next cam. They have roller fulcrum just not a roller tip. At ridiculous lifts I hear that they cam get out of their operating capabilities and some opt to change the trunnions out for Comp pieces but then there are those that complain on those bits...did they install them correctly? Nobody will ever know unfortunately. So that being said, I'm probably staying stock as long as I can then when I want to play with something new, I will be going with some shaft rockers(out of my budget currently) and a "low-lash" solid roller. Plenty of guys making stupid power on the stock rockers. They are ****!ng LIGHT YEARS ahead of old school stock rockers. Actually pretty nice pieces IMO.

I'm sure some of the more experienced folks in here will happen along and put some hard numbers on when to ditch the stock rockers.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you change cams, use the springs your cam grinder recommends.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by farmington
If you change cams, use the springs your cam grinder recommends.
You can't go wrong with that of course but aren't those recommendations often skewed since a lot of cam mfgs also make springs? For instance, Comp will tell you to use Comp springs but same cam 99% of the time will work just fine with some BTR springs.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

too many people over-spring. If you don't truly need double springs, why use them? Increased friction and it eats up HP. Until you get into a big cam, beehives are fine.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by farmington
too many people over-spring. If you don't truly need double springs, why use them? Increased friction and it eats up HP. Until you get into a big cam, beehives are fine.
I think you are right but what of the folks that insist on double springs based on redundancy? The idea is that if you break a spring, the second spring would likely keep the valve from slamming and causing a lot of damage. I'm on the fence on this but if it could save me from an expensive repair(more expensive than replacing a valve spring), then maybe it's worth it?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Spring and roller rocker questions