Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown LS1, rebuild options

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blown LS1, rebuild options

Long story short I hydro-locked my LS1 and put a rod through the side of the block. So, since this is my daily driver I'm looking for the least expensive option to have a running vehicle. I'm not concerned about hp at this point, mainly reliability (would like to do autoX in the future though).

So I've done quite a bit of research and came up with the following options:
A. Buy used 5.7L block, send to a shop for machining/reassembly of short block using as much hardware out of the blown engine as possible (eg. Pistons, cam, crankshaft, etc.) Reassemble with remaining stock parts.
B. Buy running 5.3L short block, add heads, oil pan, accessories, etc.
C. Buy used 6.0L block, do same as option A.
D. Buy running 5.7L f-body engine ($1800)

I'm leaning towards B. or D. mainly because I'm unfamiliar with the engine machining/rebuilding. Also, a running 5.3L can be found for under $700. From what I've read the parts are all interchangeable between the LS series engines so everything would just bolt on using what I already have on my Trans Am. Is this a correct assumption? Any feedback? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

How much of the current setup is salvageable?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Teching In

I'm assuming everything is salvageable accept the rod that broke, it's piston, and the block (big hole above the oil filter). I'm hoping the crankshaft is OK, but I haven't pulled the engine apart to visually check it. I would think it would need to be checked for concentricity and whatnot to make sure it wasn't damaged though. The engine was stock, 170k miles.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

When you pull the crank out even if theres no obvious issues I'd still have it checked and polished at the machine shop before reusing it.

If you want the best performance option then 6.0 is an easy choice. If you just want a running car then go 5.3 on the other end of the spectrum... All options will work it depends what fits YOU and your goals the best, as well as on the budget you are working with.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Teching In

So unfortunately I think I will have to go with the 5.3 due to availability (found a long block with 80k miles from a 2004 Silverado but has lifter ticking.) With that being said from what i've read everything is interchangeable so ill just need to put on the 5.7 oil pan, pick-up tube, all accessories, intake manifold, and exhaust. Does that sounds right? The only thing extra I would have to do is drill and tap one extra hole for the alternator bracket in the block?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Teching In

So I picked up a 5.3L for $500 and took off the heads. It looks like it sat open for while so there is dust and grime everywhere in the engine. Is there any way to clean it without disassembling the crank/pistons/etc? I've never disassembled the crank, pistons, etc before so I would prefer not to do it when im pressed for time/money unless I have to.
Any input?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Sorry to hear about your original LS1. Mine has 237k miles and still runs like a champ. Do you mind me asking though, what caused the rod malfunction? I know you said hydro locked...but how did you get water in there?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Teching In

I made the mistake of going through a puddle that was quite a bit deeper than I though (probably a foot or more). I haven't opened up the engine to inspect what actually broke but I picked oily chunks of engine block up off the road so I'm only assuming I broke a rod and put a hole through the block.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

These cars are for the summer sun so when its anything other than that you have to drive it like a grandma or even worse.

On another note, my LS1 hydro locked last year but it was due to antifreeze getting into the cylinders and oil.

5.3 is a great option for cheap and when built right, can handle a lot of boost/spray. I think you made the right choice

Quick Reply: Blown LS1, rebuild options