Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question weird noise

today i was on the hwy and i started to hear a weird noise it was kinda high pitched, it kinda sounded like something was rubbing, kinda sounded like a tornado (how ever its spelled) siren. i could hear it when i costed but it was really bad when i gave it some gas. my car as 88,000 miles. i check around the tires nothing was out of the ordanary. the noise only came from the passner side. any ideas?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm not too sure without hearing it for myself, but I have a van that made a similar noise when giving it gas and it ended up being the serpentine belt. I'd check the belt and the pulleys.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

how much do u thing a serpentine belt cost? also how do u like your pro5.0 shifter? and your exhaust? because im getting them in a few weeks
Old 06-07-2004, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the noise follow engine speed or vehicle speed? If you shift to neutral and coast does it change, drop in pitch?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeamZ
how much do u thing a serpentine belt cost? also how do u like your pro5.0 shifter? and your exhaust? because im getting them in a few weeks
Serpentine belts are very inexpensive. You'll also need a serpentine belt tool to change it out. I would imagine that the belt + the tool would cost you $40-$50 max. I love my Pro 5.0 especially with Lou's short throw stick added on. Makes a world of difference. The exhaust really surprised me because I didn't expect to be able to feel the extra hp at all. In all honesty, my Z feels like a new machine with it added on. I've already put 300 miles on her in just a few days because I've been enjoying driving it so much. I'd say either of these items would be excellent additions to your car especially if you're running stock.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

daddyss, when i let off the gas and costed i could still hear it but it wasnt as bad. in an hour im going out and just putting my car in nutral and give it some gas and see if it does it.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

update: i looked under the hood and the belts seemed fine. i started it up and put it in neutral and gave it some gas i didnt hear the noise. but i could still hear it when i was driving. i think its coming from the passenger rear tire. the tire seems fine. hmm
Old 06-07-2004, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

If it is indeed coming from the rear of the car, it could be the rear end making the noise. Gear whine maybe. Just something to think about.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my rearend makes a whining noise too, does that mean the gears are getting worn?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my rear end howls like a banshee in heat!!! prolly what your hearing