New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many types of Firehawks are there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many types of Firehawks are there?

I've been looking at the 1998-02 Firehawks lately. I noticed not all of them have the same rear spoiler. What's the difference between the one with the WS6 styled spoiler and the one with the long Formula styled spoiler? Is one more rare than the other? And I'm not talking about the Formula Firehawk standard spoiler, there's one that looks similar but is longer.

I know there is a Formula Firehawk which has the Short Styled Spoiler like the following pictures:

Then there's the Firehawk with the WS6 TA Styled Spoiler:

Finally there's the one that has the WS6 TA/Firehawk (non Formula) FRONT END but with a Formula Styled Spoiler just longer:

Old 09-26-2015, 12:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The spoiler you are referring to above was optional, I don't believe it was optional on every year and it may have been standard for the 10th Anniversary Firehawks.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The last spoiler is called the iroc spoiler, based after the iroc race cars.
There is also another rare spoiler that people call "old lumpy" :
Name:  trans_am_firehawk_4-800-600.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  7.0 KB
Old 09-27-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OP listed the 3 main spoilers seen. The WS6 spoiler is the one most commonly seen on Firehawks. Then you have the Formula Firehawks which were produced in much smaller numbers with the minimal spoiler....same type the WS6 and Firehawk convertibles are seen with. The Iroc was an option from 1999-2002. You don't see those very often, and mostly on the 2002's. In checking the Firehawk website there were 2 1999's registered with that option, vs. dozens of 2000 and 2002's. Must have not been a real popular option at the time. The Firehawk guys love the Iroc spoiler today though and are always looking for them. But the standard WS6 style spoiler is still the most eye popping one. I've never seen an "old lumpy" until today. Was that really an SLP option?

Last edited by Firebrian; 09-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
There is also another rare spoiler that people call "old lumpy"

I've only seen this one once in person, on a black Firehawk that was a 2000 MY I believe. That was many years ago so I might have the model year wrong.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2000 Firehawk I owned had "Ol' Lumpy". While I wasn't particularly fond of the way it looked, it was neat having it since there were only a handful of cars that got them.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
OP listed the 3 main spoilers seen. The WS6 spoiler is the one most commonly seen on Firehawks. Then you have the Formula Firehawks which were produced in much smaller numbers with the minimal spoiler....same type the WS6 and Firehawk convertibles are seen with. The Iroc was an option from 1999-2002. You don't see those very often, and mostly on the 2002's. In checking the Firehawk website there were 2 1999's registered with that option, vs. dozens of 2000 and 2002's. Must have not been a real popular option at the time. The Firehawk guys love the Iroc spoiler today though and are always looking for them. But the standard WS6 style spoiler is still the most eye popping one. I've never seen an "old lumpy" until today. Was that really an SLP option?
The ws6 package was available on both Trans ams and Formulas, so a "ws6 spoiler" isn't really a thing.

Also, the convertible spoilers are different than the formula/lowrise spoilers.

To get even more picky, early 4th Gen Trans am's had the option of the high spoiler or the low spoiler (the same one normally found on v6's and formulas).

The answer to the OP's question is you can get a:
Firehawk Trans am
Firehawk Trans am convertible
Firehawk Formula
Firehawk Formula convertible

Then, there was 3 different spoiler styles available on the Firehawk Trans am coupe. Normal TA spoiler, the IROC spoiler, and 'ol lumpy.

Also, there was a Pontiac G8 Firehawk. lol
Old 07-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Old lumpy was only available for the 2000 model year. My 1st Trans Am was a 2000 ws6 & there was an old lumpy navy blue TA parked in the showroom. It sported a sign that said 'rarest of the rare.' It was also wearing the salad spinner wheels. Yuck & yuck. Talk about a double whammy.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 02 red hawk
Old lumpy was only available for the 2000 model year. My 1st Trans Am was a 2000 ws6 & there was an old lumpy navy blue TA parked in the showroom. It sported a sign that said 'rarest of the rare.' It was also wearing the salad spinner wheels. Yuck & yuck. Talk about a double whammy.
Something funny was going on with that car. It was so rare that it didn't even exist, 1 of 0, at least in terms of being original.

Those swirly/3-spoke wheels (assuming that's what you mean by "salad spinner") were actually standard for model year 2000 on WS6 under RPO N66 (WS6 required), not available on Firehawk (WU6). Few WS6s were actually built with them though (most had the optional QF6 wheels). The spoiler (old lumpy) was a Firehawk only piece, not available on WS6. So if the same car had both of these items, it was something done by the dealer or by a previous owner if the car was used. SLP had no involvement in the WS6 package for the LS1 years, so the same car would not have gone to SLP for the spoiler and ASC for the WS6 components (and the only way to get those wheels from the factory was to order a WS6, meaning the car would have been shipped to ASC for conversion, not SLP.)

Of course, it's possible that the dealer may have swapped wheels to get another car sold, thus leaving the "old lumpy" car with N66 WS6 wheels that it never should have had. Shame on that dealer if they were implying that it was delivered that way.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The Ol Lumpy pic didn't work so I googled it. OMG!!! That thing is hideous. I think a standard WS6 nose looks better than a Firehawk to begin with, now add in that ugly spoiler!!!! Wonder why they are rare? Cuz they be UUUGLY.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-e...p-spoiler.html
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

eeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Something funny was going on with that car. It was so rare that it didn't even exist, 1 of 0, at least in terms of being original.

Those swirly/3-spoke wheels (assuming that's what you mean by "salad spinner") were actually standard for model year 2000 on WS6 under RPO N66 (WS6 required), not available on Firehawk (WU6). Few WS6s were actually built with them though (most had the optional QF6 wheels). The spoiler (old lumpy) was a Firehawk only piece, not available on WS6. So if the same car had both of these items, it was something done by the dealer or by a previous owner if the car was used. SLP had no involvement in the WS6 package for the LS1 years, so the same car would not have gone to SLP for the spoiler and ASC for the WS6 components (and the only way to get those wheels from the factory was to order a WS6, meaning the car would have been shipped to ASC for conversion, not SLP.)

Of course, it's possible that the dealer may have swapped wheels to get another car sold, thus leaving the "old lumpy" car with N66 WS6 wheels that it never should have had. Shame on that dealer if they were implying that it was delivered that way.
You may be right. I had no idea Pontiac made Trans Am Firehawks by 2000. Absolutely no literature in the showroom promoting the up sell. I was set on a ws6 & navy blue was the color. I had never before seen either the wheels or the spoiler, so I asked about each. The wheels were a new option & in the literature & the spoiler was a dealer add on. Poor car. There was also a navy Formula Firehawk just outside the showroom. That car lived a very hard life until the dirtbag owner killed it around '04. The dealership closed it's doors shortly after. Got leveled & replaced with a Porsche dealership
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

If that 2000 navy blue ws6 wasn't so ugly, (wheels & spoiler), I would have taken a pic of it. Can't believe someone actually thought those wheels looked good enough to produce. And to put them on one of the baddest looking rides on the street. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pJOALskdkLa9bw
Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm fairly certain the IROC style spoiler was optional on 2001 and 2002 cars only. As someone else mentioned, it was standard on the 10th anniversary cars. My 2002 Firehawk Trans Am had the IROC style spoiler.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, you are right. The Iroc spoiler debuted on the 2001 10th anniversary Trans Am Firehawk only. For 2002, it was available as an option on any color. Trans Am Firehawk. My 2002 Hawk is loaded with all 8 SLP options, one of which is the Iroc spoiler.

Last edited by 02 red hawk; 08-23-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Ol’ Lumpy

Actually was made in 99 and only 14 Firehawks received it. Also available in 2000 with 250 Firehawks receiving It. Pretty rare piece.

Quick Reply: How many types of Firehawks are there?