Old 11-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Will Not Shut Off!

Hey everyone,
I'm having an issue with my:
2000 Trans Am WS6 (M6) Stock SLP setup.
75,000 miles on the car.

When I cold start the car for the first time of the day, the Idle RMPs are good and normal, but it makes a very different, grinding type sound at idle. If I try to shut the car off at this point, the engine will not shut down and the car starts to "diesel".

The engine will not die, even if I dump the clutch. If I re-engage the clutch the engine will start right back up to idle RMP (still with the grinding noise).
This will also happen if I turn the key back to the On position (NOT re-cranking the starter).

Finally after about a minute of letting the car run with this rough sounding/grinding noise, it will level out, sound normal and then the car will shutoff and start back up like normal.

I shot a quick video of this and will try to upload it. Right now the file is too big.

If anyone has any insight into what is causing this problem, I would appreciate it. I am totally baffled at this point!

Thanks!
-Tim
Old 11-19-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an A4 1995 LT1 Z28 Camaro diesel on me one time, I shut it off while coasting in neutral to safety. I have no idea if it was just super hot (that would have to be explosively hot) or what, but the reason I shut it off was the car started shaking like crazy. The problem turned out to be my u-joints on the drive-shaft. It never did the dieseling thing again, I don't even know if the two things were related.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tupton
Hey everyone,
I'm having an issue with my:
2000 Trans Am WS6 (M6) Stock SLP setup.
75,000 miles on the car.

When I cold start the car for the first time of the day, the Idle RMPs are good and normal, but it makes a very different, grinding type sound at idle. If I try to shut the car off at this point, the engine will not shut down and the car starts to "diesel".

The engine will not die, even if I dump the clutch. If I re-engage the clutch the engine will start right back up to idle RMP (still with the grinding noise).
This will also happen if I turn the key back to the On position (NOT re-cranking the starter).

Finally after about a minute of letting the car run with this rough sounding/grinding noise, it will level out, sound normal and then the car will shutoff and start back up like normal.

I shot a quick video of this and will try to upload it. Right now the file is too big.

If anyone has any insight into what is causing this problem, I would appreciate it. I am totally baffled at this point!

Thanks!
-Tim

Sounds to me like a hung starter

Quick Reply: Engine Will Not Shut Off!