Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual driving tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
Congrats on the new beast. A tip for uphill starts. This is how I do it, you can give it a shot once you get comfortable with the engagement point. While you are stopped, just before the light turns green, I let the clutch go to the Start of the engagement point, and then move my right foot from the brake to the gas. If you get it right, the car will not roll back at all and when you add throttle the car is all ready to go.

I like this method the best, especially when someone is right up your *** at a stop.

This method does work. Also try not to think about the clawhammer behind you that's trying to shove his front bumper up your ***. If he hits you, legally it's his fault as he hit you in the rear because he was following too close.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can always use the parking brake technique when on some steep hills and the pressure is getting to you. It's simple and it works. I've been been driving 6 and 4 speed cars since 1993. And to be honest, I'm never 100% comfortable in every situation. I constantly get a little bit better, but realize I'll never be Speed Racer or Racer X as I don't daily drive these cars. Check into rev-matching for downshifts. Heel and toe can wait. These cars aren't even set up well for that unless you alter the pedals and get a pair of well suited driving shoes. It's a lot easier to learn these techniques in your teens and twenties vs. forties and fifties....lol.

Quick Reply: Manual driving tips?