Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Cams??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about Cams??

Hey guys! Im pretty new to having my camaro and dont know a whole lot about the LS1 yet and would like to learn as much as I can. My car has long tube headers, an SLP lid, and I got my ECM tuned by Tunesbyfrost. Ive been looking at these Cam packages and this stall converter. I also have the LS1 from the 2001 SS camaro with the 4L60E trans. Here is what ive been looking at....

http://vengeanceracing.net/1998-2002...-kit-plus.html

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...r-ls2-engines/

https://www.circledspecialties.com/c...ngle-disk.aspx

This is what ive got so far. What parts do i need? what dont i need? Id like to keep it cheap as possible but i also want the best i can get. I want the loppy idle but also the performance from the cam. any help would be great! thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see three different stall converter diameter choices on the link you posted, but no rated stall speeds?

Do you have a stall speed in mind?

Here is what I always recommend to customers performing a cam swap like you're wanting to do:

8620 camshaft
.660" lift dual valve spring kit
4130 chromoly push rods
ARP cam bolts
ARP balancer bolt
GM timing cover gasket
GM timing cover seal
GM water pump gaskets
Trunion upgrade
IWIS single roller chain
Melling high pressure oil pump

I sell this as a package for 1211.10 shipped.

I'd be glad to recommend a cam for you as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Teching In

I was thinking the pro series and around a 3200-3400 stall. I don't know much about anything when it comes to the very specific things honestly.

What company are you though? I might want to take a look and see what you guys have. I'm pretty unsure what I want at this point
Old 01-06-2016, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

any LS tuners that are local to you?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LS12000SSCAMARO
I was thinking the pro series and around a 3200-3400 stall. I don't know much about anything when it comes to the very specific things honestly.

What company are you though? I might want to take a look and see what you guys have. I'm pretty unsure what I want at this point
I would stick with someone like Martin to help you through the process. The type of cam your looking for will most likely need more stall then what your planning.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
any LS tuners that are local to you?
There are a few dealerships around here that do. I'm in little rock Arkansas. I'm sure there is someone, how come?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

He meant a local performance shop that tunes.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
He meant a local performance shop that tunes.
yea,a shop that can help you with your build.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:39 PM
FormerVendor

I would go with at least a 3400rpm stall converter and I'd even look into a 3600-3800rpm converter. You would never be able to tell the difference in driving manners between a 3400 and a 3600, but the performance difference would be apparent.

My name is Martin Smallwood and I own Smallwood Race Development. I worked for Tick Peformance for 3+ years and was the sole camshaft designer while I worked there. I designed their entire camshaft line, including the camshafts you've mentioned in this thread.

How often do you drive this car? Is it a daily driver? Fair weather cruiser? Street/strip?

Usage of the vehicle is just as important, if not more important than supporting modifications when it comes to choosing a camshaft.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

I think that you should add a trans cooler as the high stall because of slippage generates more heat in the trans and heat kills Auto trans.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
I would go with at least a 3400rpm stall converter and I'd even look into a 3600-3800rpm converter. You would never be able to tell the difference in driving manners between a 3400 and a 3600, but the performance difference would be apparent.

My name is Martin Smallwood and I own Smallwood Race Development. I worked for Tick Peformance for 3+ years and was the sole camshaft designer while I worked there. I designed their entire camshaft line, including the camshafts you've mentioned in this thread.

How often do you drive this car? Is it a daily driver? Fair weather cruiser? Street/strip?

Usage of the vehicle is just as important, if not more important than supporting modifications when it comes to choosing a camshaft.
Nice to meet you, I'm Wade Lohman. Active duty Crew chief for the u.s Air Force. Well right now it's my daily driver but down the road about 2 years or so it'll be a fair weather car since I'll have to start dealing with snow and stuff. Honestly with what you've told me so far about yourself im all ears for anything you might think I should buy or shouldn't buy
Old 01-08-2016, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

One of my jobs is machining the GE F-414 exhaust frame for the F-18 Super Hornet, we also do R&O on those frames.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Nice to meet you, I'm Wade Lohman. Active duty Crew chief for the u.s Air Force. Well right now it's my daily driver but down the road about 2 years or so it'll be a fair weather car since I'll have to start dealing with snow and stuff. Honestly with what you've told me so far about yourself im all ears for anything you might think I should buy or shouldn't buy
Wade,

Thank you for your service, I do offer a military discount as well for active duty and retired military personnel.

Seeing as it's going to be a few years before you retire your car from DD status, I'd recommend something on the milder side. I would recommend something that will drive well, but still not have you wishing that you went bigger when the time comes to retire the car from DD usage.

Here is what I'd suggest:

228/232 .612/.595 112+2

This cam will pair well with a 3600rpm converter, and as I mentioned, you'll never notice the difference between a 3200-3400 and a 3600 if you choose a quality converter such as FTI, Circle D or Yank to name a few.

The parts I mentioned in my first post are included in my Premium cam package. This cam would be ground on a 8620 Cam Motion core as well.

I would be glad to get you set-up with all the parts that you need. Give me a call at the number in my signature, or email me at the address in my signature.

Quick Reply: Questions about Cams??