Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Dies

Rebuilt 5.3 w/DOD Delete. Will sometimes die while driving. Starts right back after pulling over. Sometimes dies, pull over, won't do anything like 0 power to starter. Let it sit a while and starts right back up. Sometimes disconnect battery and reconnect and it will start.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Default This worked for me

First, I am by no means an expert and am only now learning about working on my own vehicle fir more than simple routine work.

THis was what my 94 Firebird Formula V8 was doing. I spent several sessions trying to troubleshoot and speaking with experienced mechanics and thought I had a bad fuel pump to fuel regulator. Replaced them and the ICM for good measure. It happened again just before Christmas.

After again repalceing a fuel pump (this time an AC Delco), the problem persisted. Traced it to a problem with the fuel pump relay. Turns out the theft deterrent evice is wired to the fuel pump relay. Switched over to using my spare key and she is running great ever since. I have driven her for around a thousand miles and have had zero repeeat issues.

Try using a different key, the security chip may be worn or faulty. Worked for me, and it's cheaper than a new fuel pump.

I hope this helps and you can get back to enjoying your truck.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Could be ignition switch? Sounds like you are going to have to trip on it to find it.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah unfortunately intermittent issues like these are a b**** to find.

Best guess is that it's an issue with the immobilizer (if still equipped). Something is stopping the voltage from getting to the starter, whether that's the starter relay (which is usually energized by the ign switch and can be blocked by the immobilizer) or a faulty ign switch, those are the first two places I'd look.

Second would be at the starter itself. YOu'll have to do tests to verify but see if the relay is getting voltage when these issues occur. If it's getting positive and negative you know the starter is getting power. If the starter is getting power then the starter itself is bad.

Quick Reply: Truck Dies