Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castech Replacement Head Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castech Replacement Head Questions

My Z71 was bit by the Castech 706 head leaking into my engine. I caught it very early and the oil was not milky just the valve cover was coated in sludge making the PCV suck oil. I do not know how many miles are on the engine but truck has 280,000 miles and still ran great even when i parked it. Cylinders look good and you can see hone marks.

I was advised to try and get a set of 799 heads to replace the junk heads. There are many sets being sold on fleabay for around $700 rebuilt. Will there be any issues if I just throw these on there with no cam change etc? I'm typically a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy," so I was hoping to leave the cam alone. Also, do the 799 heads use all the same head bolts? I know I need to order new ones just want to make sure they are the same as my originals.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will bolt right on, but you will lose about a 1/2 point of compression with the bigger combustion chambers of the 799s. Best bet IMHO is grab a set of 862s, same as the 706s but no castech issues to worry about
706/862 = 61cc 9.5:1cr
799 = 66cc 9.0:1cr
Old 02-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Thanks for the advice but I already jumped on a set of heads so I am committed now. I just picked up a set of brand new 799 heads for $700 and also some ls7 lifters. They are brand new in the box.

Should I get the heads milled to compensate? Also, I'm assuming I need different push rods now as well. Is there an easy way to know what size?

Quick Reply: Castech Replacement Head Questions