Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust anxiety

So I'm deleting my cats and wanna know if I can cut the cat in front of it and 4 inches behind it, leave the rest of the exhaust in place, and not have my car blow up cuz of the 2ft gap of no pipes where the cats were
Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Wrong section but I'll answer anyway. You won't blow up your car, but....

What exactly are you going to do? Cut the exhaust and leave it dumped in the center of your car and just have the leftover pipes run out the back of the car? If so be prepared for all the exhaust fumes and noise to come directly into the cabin from under the drivers seat. Would not recommend that.

If you intend on cutting the exhaust and finishing it, welding new pipe(s) then you will be fine. I have never ran cats on my cars and had no problems from that. You may have issues getting an inspection though if you don't know a friendly inspector though.

Realize though by doing any of these options though you would be messing with flow through the exhaust, back pressure, emissions, etc. All which could have a negative effect on your engine. You should do it the correct way and if you aren't knowledgeable enough to do it on your own, pay someone else to do it, it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks. Yea I couldn't find the right section on the mobile web. Phone sucks
Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does gutting or removing your cats negatively affect your AFR or anything like that via the O2? Do you have to tune anything out, like does it trigger a light?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Does gutting or removing your cats negatively affect your AFR or anything like that via the O2? Do you have to tune anything out, like does it trigger a light?
You will get a code within the first few miles. Should be a P0420 code. I would recommend getting it tuned out if that is the route you decide to go. It will affect AFR but your PCM/ECU should adjust for any additional fuel or air needed. I would still recommend getting the code tuned out though.

You may get other codes too. Honestly I haven't had cats in so long that I can't even remember what codes I had in the past. Just know when you start messing with **** expect **** to happen.

Oh and like the above, make sure your state doesn't test for emissions or you are going to screw yourself when you are do for an inspection.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you. No inspections where I live, I was just thinking ahead for longtubes and all that.