New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a good idea to weld offroad cats to my new headers once I get them installed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a good idea to weld offroad cats to my new headers once I get them installed?

I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild on my 2000 Z/28. The engine comes fully apart tonight but we're quite sure it's a spun rod bearing. This is already going to be a costly repair since I'll also be getting an LS7 clutch, LT's w/ off-road Y-pipe since my emission system has already been screwed anyways, a new AC compressor, new tires, and possibly a cam.
I'll post pictures below but basically my emissions system isn't working right anyways. One of the lines for it was destroyed and the stock headers are rusted to crap. I found speed engineering LT's and offroad y-pipe for $350 (Yes, I know cheap headers aren't good but I need a running engine, not Kooks). Now, the guy who's repairing it also works for a tuning shop and can tune out the O2 sensors so that it will pass emissions. However, I don't know anyone who could pass me for emissions, since I'm a lonely bastard. I know visual inspections, whether when pulled over or during emissions testing, is crucial. I have until December of this year for emissions so no rush. So since I'm already spending enough money I thought it would be a good idea to buy off-road cats and weld them onto the headers/y-pipe, since I'm not sure I trust the clamps that come with the kit.

Do you think this is a good idea? Some of my friends say it's not necessary since "nobody checks for cats" anyways, but these guys all have buds that will pass them and NC is getting stricter on emissions checking.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

If you need something that looks like a cat for cursory visual inspection, those would be a good option. For a more in-depth inspection, that may or may not cut it (hard to know without knowing your local test processes.) Whether or not you need them, or if they will pass, in your area is something only other locals can tell you. We don't have visuals here, so it's not something I'd personally be concerned with nor can I offer any advice on the severity of inspections in NC.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't have severe inspections here in NC. Now, they've stepped up their game on not letting obviously catless cars slide by, which is why I want them. They always check the OBD-II port and they sometimes do a visual.
My mechanic sad not to worry about it now since I have until December and it won't be hard to weld the fakes on if I need to. I don't know how much more welding would be but if it costs a pretty penny I'll probably hold off until later.

A lot of my buds pass inspection without cats. A lot of them also know a guy.

Quick Reply: Is it a good idea to weld offroad cats to my new headers once I get them installed?