Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering shorty headers due to Colorado emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering shorty headers due to Colorado emissions

So im 21, I bought an 02' camaro SS I'm coming on 2 years of ownership. I am also very knew to the forum I apologize if i annoy anyone for whatever reason with this post. Yes i know I'm young, yes it may seem like a lot of horsepower for a "kid" then again I've been around fast cars all my life thanks to dad being an old school car enthusiast, I am careful, ask me whatever you want.

anyway, After looking at post after post on here I've even been on the trailblazer, GTO, and mustang forums looking for something similar in Colorado, I'm sadly leaning towards shorty headers for my first mod since i still want to pass emissions in Colorado. It looks like with the TSP LTs and ORY i risk not passing by moving the cats farther back, and ill have an SES light due to the o2 sensors being moved as well which sounds like more headaches and more money that I don't have in order to deal with those unwanted issues. and at least with shorties i wont have to move anything around.

So, is anyone here in Colorado that owns an 02' with LTs able to pass emissions and get rid of SES light for o2 sensors without going through a lot of trouble and/or money that I could possibly do?

Are the shorts even worth the money? I know they're worth at least 10-15hp.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by rarmendariz15
Are the shorts even worth the money? I know they're worth at least 10-15hp.
They might be worth up to 10hp or so on a '98-'99 car with the older manifold design, but I think you're looking at less than 10hp on an '00+ model, especially with functioning cats still in place.

If you planned to heavily modify the engine, then the stock manifolds would become even more of a restriction and the shorties might be worth it. In this case, I think you would be disappointed in the gain for the money spent.

No idea how strict the visual inspection is in CO, thankfully we don't have that nonsense here. But tuning can take care of the SES light issues and get you to pass an OBD scan test. Tuning can't help with a strict visual though.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I know that there are a lot of GTO owners from Colorado who have heavily modified their vehicles and never seem to have any issue with emissions. Of course, the GTO doesn't have AIR or EGR from the factory. Regardless, a tune will take care of the engine light and any codes in relation to the emissions.

Shorties do have their place in the world, and I wouldn't look at them as being an embarrassment or anything of the sort. There are plenty of people making good power with shorty headers.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about a middle-ground (mid-length headers)?
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
What about a middle-ground (mid-length headers)?
If he has to pass a strict visual then only shorties would pass as anything else (including mid-length) will relocate the cats. This is why you don't see CARB numbers on anything but shorties for these cars.

It all comes down to how strict their visual is. If they are just looking for cats and not verifying stock location, then you can move straight to an LT and deal with the codes via tuning.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:29 AM
On The Tree

Or move to a red state...

Sims can get rid of your light without a tune. Do they actually lift the hood and inspect or is it actually just a sniff and ODB hookup?
Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't waste the time (on a 02 anyway) but if that's your only option go for it.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since your new here I will throw you a curve ball , you would make much greater performance gains with no emissions concerns by installing a quality lock up stall convertor instead - you would still appear stock.... it is the concensus best bang for the buck mod of course this only applies if you have an automatic , if M6 I guess underdrive crank pulley , electric water pump , manual rack , weight removal , gears , etc... could provide gains without emissions implications.

You could also find the subforum that covers your geographic area down at the very bottom of the forum and ask in there then you can get some local knowledge about what you can and cant do.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Im still learning how to reply to people individually on here so here it goes, I plan on doing a mid to average cam swap sometime in the near future and maybe a couple of other things.

@RPMWS6 The tuning for the SES light where exactly does a guy go to get that taken care of? Im not sure how strict they are on the visual to be honest i don't really remember. hmm

@NineZerFive its just a sniffer and ODB
Old 03-24-2016, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Im not sure how strict they are on the visual to be honest i don't really remember. hmm
@NineZerFive its just a sniffer and ODB
I'm confused now..... if it's just a sniffer and OBD scan test, then why are you concerned about moving the cats? They would have to do a visual to discover this violation, if there is no visual then you have no worries in this regard. But, it sounds like you really need to double check the test process in your state before committing to a plan. Usually your state EPA website will outline the test process, and/or you should confer with other locals.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Then you'll be fine. My AIR is gone, just long tubes and a single cat where the Y collects. Rear O2 was tuned out but Sims woulda worked fine. I sail through emissions.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Teching In

ok i think they do a visual but you're right i need to be absolutely sure I'm also wondering even if they do a visual as long as the cats are there i don't think they would make a big deal about it unless the guy or gal is a complete ***.

The only thing now is could any of you guys give me some of your knowledge as to how or where i can get the o2 sensors tuned out? thats something that I'm not familiar with.

I appreciate all the input.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:21 AM
Launching!

The test can consist of the obd2 scan test, visual, or dyno or a combo of any.... so whatever the car came emissions legal wise is what the inspect for... I have passed before with long tube headers witj my ol sbc 305. I swapped my 85 Pontiac with a 99 ls1 all stock and plan on doing long tubes soon along with a heads and a cam, so I'm on the same boat kind of.... contact Shane or John at
https://www.facebook.com/JS-Performa...51431471/info/
they know how to mod them and be emissions legal!!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
The test can consist of the obd2 scan test, visual, or dyno or a combo of any.... so whatever the car came emissions legal wise is what the inspect for... I have passed before with long tube headers witj my ol sbc 305. I swapped my 85 Pontiac with a 99 ls1 all stock and plan on doing long tubes soon along with a heads and a cam, so I'm on the same boat kind of.... contact Shane or John at
https://www.facebook.com/JS-Performa...51431471/info/
they know how to mod them and be emissions legal!!

dope!! Luckily i haven't ordered any headers yet, I also plan on a mild cam. Thanks man much obliged.

Quick Reply: Considering shorty headers due to Colorado emissions