New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam differences

Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam differences

Guys im new to LS motors but nowhere near new to building motors, been building high HP Fords for sometime now. However I have in my possession a 77 Trans Am with 40k on it Not numbers matching that I am going to build a LS motor for. I picked up a 2002 LQ4 motor complete, however I am removing the fuel injection and I have already purchased a Holley intake and carb and MSD6LS box for it. I am looking at cams now and have a guy willing to give me his 06 ZO6 cam, springs, push rods in exchange for some body work. I need to know if this cam will work in this motor. The MSD6LS does require a cam sensor connection. Any input?
Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 08:46 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It will work, but since you don't have a rear cam sensor pickup in the cam, you will have to use a front cover with the cam sensor on it and the appropriate timing set.

Also, neither the springs nor pushrods will work in the LQ4 engine. The pushrods are too long and the springs won't have enough clearance with the lower installed height of the cathedral heads on the LQ4.

IMO, it's not really worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam differences