New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula blowing ac/ cruise control fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula blowing ac/ cruise control fuse

Hey folks. New to the LS1TECH and am lost on this problem. I have a 98 Formula Ive owned a year and during the winter the ac/ cruise control 15 amp fuse blew a time or two, and at the time I though it was in the cruise control as I could turn left and it would cut off the cruise control. After starting to use the ac, it is blowing the fuse WITHOUT using the cruise. The other day it ran good cold air while sitting in my drive. Drove 2 miles down the road, boom blew the fuse. Any help is more than appreciated. Ac clutch? Compressor? Been told that could be it but I have no idea.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd try different combinations to see if you might eliminate some sources. It occurs to me that the biggest draw on that system is likely the blower motor(on high). Turn the A/C off so that you aren't powering the compressor clutch/compressor and run the fan on low for a while..while also not engaging/enabling cruise. If the fuse doesn't blow, then run it on high a while(still with A/C off). If still no, go back to fan low and then turn A/C on. If it blows then, I would suspect compressor clutch or wiring in between. There are a couple of other things in the compressor circuit as well like the pressure switch to protect the compressor in the event of low refrigerant. If fan low and A/C on still doesn't blow, try fan high / A/C on. If that blows, then I'd say it's a combo of things getting old. Electrical components, as they age and wear, require more current to perform the same task.

If it still doesn't blow, send me $5 via PayPal to thank me for magically fixing the problem for you.

The above may not lead you right to the obvious fix but at least will give you an idea of some things it is not.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is the AC clutch is shorting out. I would either disconnect the compressor and drive to see if the fuse stays good, or find a way to splice in a fuse just for compressor. This separating the AC and cruise.
I had a Grand am that was stuck in 3rd gear. Ended up being bad AC compressor, blowing fuse. On that car is shared a Trans fuse with AC

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=12719

Quick Reply: Formula blowing ac/ cruise control fuse