Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug breaks in 1/2 stuck in head HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default spark plug breaks in 1/2 stuck in head HELP

Today I was changing the plugs in the wifes cavalier and on the second one the damn plug broke right below the hex. The rest of the plug is still in the head, the threads and the side electode WTF!!! I go to autozone and get some ez outs and some pb blaster penetrating lube and give her a squirt. I go and get a haircut and come back around 1.5 hrs later. You can see the electode hanging down in the combustion chamber with a flashlight. There was already a perfect size hole for the #5 ez out. I start threading it in with a ratchet real slow. I'm only using one hand because the other one is holdin a flash light so I can see when the plug breaks loose when the ez out breaks off in the plug too. The only thing else I know to do is try and weld something to the plug to get it out. Please help, I don't want to pull the head over a POS spark plug.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. I would have advised exactly what you did. The only alternative I can see is to pull the Head? Sory.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like your SOL you're gonna have to pull the head
Old 06-21-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

shoot if you have a welder, weld a nut on it? should work.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Dont weld anything if it's an aluminum head. You'll melt the head.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear of your woes. I had the same thing happen on my 1992 Taurus SHO. DOHC so it was way down there. I was changing the factory installed plugs. I was so pissed I called the dealer to come haul into the service bay. They towed it and fixed it gratis. Probably the only pleasant experience I had with the dealer.

Sounds like you're going to have to pull the head.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys I got the car fixed the next day. I just looked up the threads I had started and saw this one. I hadn't read everyones responses yet. Here's how I got the POS plug out. I took a 12 point socket that was too small to go over the part of the plug still showing, put an extension on it and hammered that **** down tight. I then broke it loose and I was done. I did stick a magnet down in the comb. chamber and make sure nothing went down in there. I put plenty of anti seize on the new plugs. Car runs great and a few days later I took down my buddys girlfriends Z-24 cavalier, him driving of course. Thanks for the replys.