Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Replacing Battery Cable to Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Replacing Battery Cable to Alternator

So a couple weeks ago my alternator went bad, and my car lost all power while driving. Got a jump, seemed like the battery was holding charge, so I drove it home, then drop it to school the next day (I'm a college kid.) Died at the bottom of the parking garage, so I got another jump, it died again and I had someone in a truck tow me home. When I began taking the alternator off, I had some issues with all the bolts being too tight, especially the 13mm that bolts the battery cable to the alternator, and apparently I torqued it too much and did some major damage to it. So I let it go for the day, then decided since it was already half severed and I wanted to get the alternator off, I decided to cut it all the way through then take it off. Now, I don't know what to do. I want to replace the batter cable, but don't what to damage the battery terminal, because it's in decent shape, and I REALLY don't want to replace all the positive wiring. Any tips or suggestions? It was an easy fix messed up by a novice mechanic and I just want my car back. Thanks guys.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either go to a good electrical supply and make a new cable or head to the scrap yard to pick one up.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to worry

Try a local auto parts store. My local NAPA carries pre-made battery cables with different style ends, gauges, and lengths. Won't be more than $20 and the crimps are solid.

Quick Reply: Need Help Replacing Battery Cable to Alternator