New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic shifter messed up

Old 01-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Automatic shifter messed up

Don't know a lot about automatics since my other car was a stick 97 LT1. This car has an awesome rebuilt tranny through a well known shop in CT and some of the parts came from a truck or 4l80e. Well to start I owned the car from 120K miles and now has 156K hard miles. I heard the other owner shifted a lot by hand and maybe worn out the linkage or some spring or moving part in the car. The shifter feels looser and doesn't line up with what gear it selects in and half the time it doesn't go in park! Please help I don't want to be driving and this thing goes in the wrong gear. The linkage sounds louder and either clicks loud or doesn't. The shifter just doesn't line up anymore unless to slowly select it with your pinky every centimeter and listening for it to slightly click. Still drives good and if punched at around 50 MPH it pulls sideways as usual. Can't find the receipt papers (somewhere in my messy garage) when bought but tranny was rebuilt with some truck parks so I believe 4l80e torq converter, shift kit, and bands. Transmission by far is still amazing and I have been driving many LT1 and LS1 F-bodies and Vette's since I used to work at a dealership years ago.

Last edited by 1999ls1sscamaro; 01-22-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the problem out of the two bolts holding the linkage to the pan one fell out and the other was just about to fallout as well. The shifter is tighter now and car is fine.

Last edited by 1999ls1sscamaro; 01-25-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic shifter messed up