New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best budget/easiest to install for a noob Trans Cooler?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is the best budget/easiest to install for a noob Trans Cooler?

I'm going to start delivering food for an extra source of income with my TransAm WS6, and I really want to do as little harm to her as possible. I'm going to get a beater ASAP so I can stop putting city mileage on the car, but we are drowning financially and I have to do this. I'm going to change the oil, but I was also thinking I should put a Trans cooler on. In about 10 months I'm going to probably be getting a higher stall torque converter, too, so I'd already have the trans cooler on.

I'm not a master mechanic like you guys, but I've done small things to the car like the throttle body bypass and changing an alternator out. Is this much harder to install?

EDIT: I LIVE IN FLORIDA BY THE WAY, it's VERY HOT HERE during the day.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 02-20-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense man but if things are as bad as you say they are I wouldn't do any mods to the car and save your cash. Sure a stall will be fun but the second you go modding anything above its intended specs you then add potential for it to break further down the road as is with any car. I also live in FL and you shouldn't need a trans cooler for just day to day driving on a stock stall 4l60e provided you arnt beating on it everywhere.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usnfenix
No offense man but if things are as bad as you say they are I wouldn't do any mods to the car and save your cash. Sure a stall will be fun but the second you go modding anything above its intended specs you then add potential for it to break further down the road as is with any car. I also live in FL and you shouldn't need a trans cooler for just day to day driving on a stock stall 4l60e provided you arnt beating on it everywhere.

Well, that's the primary reason for putting off the mods at the moment. (In 10 months we will be in a different situation, based on how everything goes.) I'm still concerned about the life of this transmission in this heat, though. I guess since it's stock PCM tune torque reduction and stuff I should be OK.

Nonetheless, my question about the cooler remains.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here... this thread has a lot of good info for you to read thru regarding tranny coolers and the install.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...0e-f-body.html
Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You should be fine, just don't drive it like a IDIOT, I had a 99 Z28 in Fl. and I had no issues.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has some miles on it,i would get the fluid flushed,new filter,you"ll have a long lived transmission. On a lightweight car like that,there isn"t a lot stress.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 97camer
If it has some miles on it,i would get the fluid flushed,new filter,you"ll have a long lived transmission. On a lightweight car like that,there isn"t a lot stress.
NEVER DO A FLUSH !!! a lot of times it ***** it up. It's like shitting your pants and never whipping your ***,you're only doing half the job.
Your trans is stock so it shouldn't need any fancy stuff. Change the fluid n filter and be done.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the time when you take it to an auto shop for a tranny flush they hook the fluid lines up and pump your car full of fluid from a big vat of generic tranny fluid. Also the fluid is forced to travel in a direction and manner it is not used to which is the source of the premature failures. (not a transmission guy just reposting what ive found on this site correct me if im wrong)
Old 03-12-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I would get yourself squared away financially before modding your car, shes not going anywhere and you'll eventually get there.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I would get yourself squared away financially before modding your car, shes not going anywhere and you'll eventually get there.
Well, yes, but I don't want to kill the car using it for delivery before I can reach that point, hence the trans cooler idea. I got an oil change and I really don't know what else to do to minimize the wear of city delivery driving.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Well, yes, but I don't want to kill the car using it for delivery before I can reach that point, hence the trans cooler idea. I got an oil change and I really don't know what else to do to minimize the wear of city delivery driving.

The real answer? keep your foot out of it and your wallet into it as far as basic maintenance is concerned.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Search dope mount trans cooler.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
I'm going to start delivering food for an extra source of income with my TransAm WS6, and I really want to do as little harm to her as possible. I'm going to get a beater ASAP so I can stop putting city mileage on the car, but we are drowning financially and I have to do this. I'm going to change the oil, but I was also thinking I should put a Trans cooler on. In about 10 months I'm going to probably be getting a higher stall torque converter, too, so I'd already have the trans cooler on.

I'm not a master mechanic like you guys, but I've done small things to the car like the throttle body bypass and changing an alternator out. Is this much harder to install?

EDIT: I LIVE IN FLORIDA BY THE WAY, it's VERY HOT HERE during the day.
Don't go to big on the cooler I hear it's hard on the 4l60e because it drops the pressure. But you can get them cheap atyat your local auto parts store
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
NEVER DO A FLUSH !!! a lot of times it ***** it up. It's like shitting your pants and never whipping your ***,you're only doing half the job.
Your trans is stock so it shouldn't need any fancy stuff. Change the fluid n filter and be done.
As long as you change the seals front and rear it'll be ok. After so many miles the gunk holds the seal together. And the pressure from the flush will blow the old seals out. So unless u plan on pullipulling the trans.... don't
Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this for under 100 dollars. Relay wiring, fan cooler hoses. Basic set up

Name:  cooling%20fan_zpsc8ta0cwh.jpg
Views: 6048
Size:  284.2 KB
Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

What location did you put it. And did you put it in line with the factory unit?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would also consider an aluminum trans pan. my deep pan takes extra fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the best budget/easiest to install for a noob Trans Cooler?