New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 5.3 no start - theft recovery - air bags deployed

Old 03-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 5.3 no start - theft recovery - air bags deployed

I purchased a complete 2002 Tahoe to swap the 5.3 into another vehicle. It's a theft recovery with damage that deployed the airbags and the steering column lock is butchered. Damage is front, not a rollover. The ignition switch is hanging below the column and I can operate with my thumb to crank it over. The engine will start and run for one second and die immediately . Recycle the switch and it will do this over and over again but only run for one second and die. All fluids and fuses OK. Gauges functioning and all visible wiring checks out under the hood.

Thoughts or Ideas??

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 03-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a VATS issue. If the computer cant read the chip in the key the motor will only run for a second then shut off.

If the dash still works you usually get a "Security" light flashing.

If the ignition cylinder , wiring and key are in good condition you can try a VATS relearn procedure and see if it will learn the key code again.

Since you are going to swap this into a different vehicle you can ask your tuner to disable VATS completely.

This is very common.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vehicle did not come with a chip style key. A std. key that opens all outside doors. The ignition lock cylinder is drilled out. Did this vehicle have a chip key from the factory? I didn't think 2002 had these.........

Thanks for the reply,

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

I did some research and found that they key is not chipped but the ignition cylinder does have a set of contacts that send a signal for VATS.

If your cylinder is drilled then that is likely the problem.

If you want you can replace the cylinder and do the relearn procedure and that should fix it.

Since this is a swap project though it wouldnt matter as you would probably disable VATS in the tune.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Compsystems
Sounds like a VATS issue. If the computer cant read the chip in the key the motor will only run for a second then shut off.

If the dash still works you usually get a "Security" light flashing.

If the ignition cylinder , wiring and key are in good condition you can try a VATS relearn procedure and see if it will learn the key code again.

Since you are going to swap this into a different vehicle you can ask your tuner to disable VATS completely.

This is very common.
That's not true......vats disables the starter and fuel at least in the cars it does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 5.3 no start - theft recovery - air bags deployed