New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I lose HP with GMMG chambered exhaust? (LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Would I lose HP with GMMG chambered exhaust? (LS1)

Hey guys I'm considering going with the GMMG chambered exhaust set up, I've heard how it sounds on a few 4th gen LS1 Camaros and I like it.

My car is a 98 Z28 6 speed it has 3" magnaflow exhaust, SLP loudmouth longtube headers, high flo cats, k&n air intake, TSP Torquer V4.

So I'm wondering would I lose horsepower going from the 3" magnaflow set up I have to the chambered GMMG exhaust?

Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe 1 or 2 hp if any. Nothing to be concerned about or noticeable.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Have you heard it on cars with longtubes? It's a whole 'nother animal with longtubes vs. stock manifolds. Loudness and rasp can be issues with LT's.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

I 2nd revGTO's thoughts.
I have had 4 LS1 f bodies to date , the only one that sounded terrible and had bad drone was a 273 auto car with pacesetter long tubes and gmmg , better gears may have helped the situation a lot. on the other hand my M6 car with QTP long tubes, x pipe True duals that dump at the rear end sounds fabulous with no drone. My 373 stalled a 4 car has kooks/off road y , and stainless magnaflow catback and sounds good while conservative.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by J-FredZ28
Hey guys I'm considering going with the GMMG chambered exhaust set up, I've heard how it sounds on a few 4th gen LS1 Camaros and I like it.

My car is a 98 Z28 6 speed it has 3" magnaflow exhaust, SLP loudmouth longtube headers, high flo cats, k&n air intake, TSP Torquer V4.

So I'm wondering would I lose horsepower going from the 3" magnaflow set up I have to the chambered GMMG exhaust?

Thanks!!
There both good catbacks so not enough to worry about either way, lose or gain.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Have you heard it on cars with longtubes? It's a whole 'nother animal with longtubes vs. stock manifolds. Loudness and rasp can be issues with LT's.
I can't say whether or not they had Longtubes.. That's something I definitely didn't consider!
I'm just trying to get a wicked sounding idle, while not sounding like crap going through the gears and at full throttle. The thing about the 3" magnaflow system I have on my car is it's not crazy at idle, but at wide open throttle it sounds awesome.. I'm just nervous about buying different systems and wasting time and money to find a good tone.. Any suggestions for what I'm trying to get at guys? Thanks so much for the input! Very appreciated..
Old 03-17-2017, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Texas Speed cat back with the cut out built in. I just ordered one, it should be here Monday. It was based on the magnaflow system but is louder. Plus you have the option to install a e-cut out when you want it really loud.

Quick Reply: Would I lose HP with GMMG chambered exhaust? (LS1)