New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips for buying used LS1 car

Old 04-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tips for buying used LS1 car

So I've had an LS1 car for many years...and looked at another car last night..i was wondering what people look for when buying a used car.

I saw a can of oil in the center console.
Owner said he bought it in New Jersey, but no front license plate holder.
Grade 8 stainless bolts in the shock tower.
3rd and 5th gear didn't want to go in.
Over spray on aftermarket muffler.
Stains inside the t-top area.. green, like mold.

Do all GM cars say GM on the windshield? this had a logo on the center bottom windshield of another company.

clutch seemed mushy and engaged all the way out.
When I hit the brakes, the oil pressure dropped.
I usually open the hood and look for over spray and rounded bolts.

anyone else have tips?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it's been beat to hell, I'd offer 1000 bucks for it. Sounds like windshield replaced. I'd pull a carfax on it, and if he claims he has the title, make him prove it's actually titled to him.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are general tips for looking at any car for sale. If you want specifics look at the "what it's worth" section in the classifieds forum. There are numerous posts in there discussing issues with cars for sale and how they affect value. RPM WS6 has written lengthy posts on this topic. All you have to do is retrieve them. There's literally nothing left out of these posts.

Fwiw, I've never gone to look at an LS1 F body with as many "issues" as the one you posted about. Usually, problems with these cars are far less subtle than those. As a rule they are not re-painted or touched up....short of being in an accident. Give them another 10-20 years and maybe the majority of the ones still left will be repaints.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by flat-top
Do all GM cars say GM on the windshield? this had a logo on the center bottom windshield of another company.
Unlike some modern GM vehicles, these cars didn't have a "GM" logo printed on the windshield or door/hatch glass from the factory - it should be a logo from "LOF".

Otherwise, I agree with the above assessment that the car above sounds beat. I wouldn't touch it unless it's very cheap and you want a project.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with above posters, but 1 thing I will add is that these cars are like 15-19 years old now. Gotta keep that in mind as there will be little to no chance of finding a mint one. If it is mint you will know it because owner will price accordingly. These aren't Buick LeSabre's where you might find a mint one that sat in Granny's garage with 20k on it selling for 5k. Just need to figure out what you are okay with replacing/fixing when you get one, and make sure it is priced accordingly for its condition.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by udienow
Agree with above posters, but 1 thing I will add is that these cars are like 15-19 years old now. Gotta keep that in mind as there will be little to no chance of finding a mint one. If it is mint you will know it because owner will price accordingly. These aren't Buick LeSabre's where you might find a mint one that sat in Granny's garage with 20k on it selling for 5k. Just need to figure out what you are okay with replacing/fixing when you get one, and make sure it is priced accordingly for its condition.
True enough, but I did find my WS6 at 30k miles with one owner. It wasn't *mint*, but it was definitely super clean. No paint chips, or cracks in the dash etc. Cost about 10 grand.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
True enough, but I did find my WS6 at 30k miles with one owner. It wasn't *mint*, but it was definitely super clean. No paint chips, or cracks in the dash etc. Cost about 10 grand.
Yup you can still find them because not everyone knows what they're worth, especially if an original owner passes on. The NADA and KBB values are absurdly low for low mileage cream puffs. Last year a forum member bought a 40K mile red Firehawk for $9K. Now more than likely they'll end up in a dealer's hands on trade in, etc. But if you beat the bushes you might just find one someday that gets sold via KBB.

We had a car dealer on the WIW blog a few months back that picked up a 6K-8K mile 1998/1999 WS6 on the cheap...taking it "off someone's hands as a favor" who didn't want to deal with it. They came here looking for numbers on value. Next thing you know they have it up on Ebay at $24K-$26K....lol. I think they did drop to $20K though. I wouldn't be surprised if they paid $12K-$14K for that car. Granny might not have one of these in her garage....but grandpa just might.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-21-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tips for buying used LS1 car