Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/Y-Pipe/Catback questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headers/Y-Pipe/Catback questions

Hi, thanks for all the help you guys have been over the last year. Anyways, so my car

1998 Trans Am WS6, bought 38,000 miles, about 59,000 now, A4
Everything is stock except Air-lid and Borla Catback.

Now, my friend with a newer year TransAm is giving me her headers off of her car and Y-Pipe for free (she's putting a turbo in and changing her whole exhaust.) Will this Y-pipe and such fit with my Borla Catback? Will it just be unbolt, slide in, bolt? I don't have materials to fabricate or bend anything. I'm guessing it doesn't have the provisions for emissions that the 1998 has, but I'm going to be deleting EGR and A.I.R. before installation anyway, so that doesn't mater to me. Also, can I get a cat-less Y-pipe down the road and make it an exact fit between the headers and my Borla? Pictures of the headers+ypipe I'm receiving are below.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Hi, thanks for all the help you guys have been over the last year. Anyways, so my car

1998 Trans Am WS6, bought 38,000 miles, about 59,000 now, A4
Everything is stock except Air-lid and Borla Catback.

Now, my friend with a newer year TransAm is giving me her headers off of her car and Y-Pipe for free (she's putting a turbo in and changing her whole exhaust.) Will this Y-pipe and such fit with my Borla Catback? Will it just be unbolt, slide in, bolt? I don't have materials to fabricate or bend anything. I'm guessing it doesn't have the provisions for emissions that the 1998 has, but I'm going to be deleting EGR and A.I.R. before installation anyway, so that doesn't mater to me. Also, can I get a cat-less Y-pipe down the road and make it an exact fit between the headers and my Borla? Pictures of the headers+ypipe I'm receiving are below.

That ypipe is custom and has a muffler already on it, it doesnt look like it will directly bolt up to a standard catback but cant tell without seeing it on the car. Was the previous owner on a regular catback or something custom?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
That ypipe is custom and has a muffler already on it, it doesnt look like it will directly bolt up to a standard catback but cant tell without seeing it on the car. Was the previous owner on a regular catback or something custom?
I'll ask when I see her again. Maybe I should just buy an off-road Y to complement the Headers, because I do not want to muffle anything besides with my Borla. I thought that was a high-flow cat or something, hahaha.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking of mating the headers with this

https://www.speed-engineering.com/fe...ad-y-pipe.html
Old 03-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Your friend's Y-pipe looks like it has a better merge than the Speed Engineering one. Why not cut off that muffler and as much of the I-pipe needed to fit an new I-pipe. You can get a Walker Dynomax I-pipe and OTA pipe (if needed) to mate to your Borla from Summit. Any decent exhaust shop can fit the pieces together.

I'd also buy some header paint and sand down the spots where the coating is peeling off and spray them.

Last edited by RevGTO; 03-26-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Your friend's Y-pipe looks like it has a better merge than the Speed Engineering one. Why not cut off that muffler and as much of the I-pipe needed to fit an new I-pipe. You can get a Walker Dynomax I-pipe and OTA pipe (if needed) to mate to your Borla from Summit. Any decent exhaust shop can fit the pieces together.

I'd also buy some header paint and sand down the spots where the coating is peeling off and spray them.
I actually like your idea. I noticed the y-pipe I received is much better than the stock one, but I didn't know it was better than Speed Engineering.

OK, so I'm trying to prep my car for installation in the next few weeks - month. Here's my check list, can you guys proof read for me if I missed something?

-Delete EGR and AIR and block off EGR on Air Intake Manifold. (Can't go LS6 or FAST for a while.)
-Buy Gaskets for headers. (Can I use ANY header gasket? Or do I need one specifically for the brand she gave me?)
-Buy Two O2 extensions.
-Buy Spark plugs, wires, wire sleeves (because, you know.)
-Blast the hell out of all my bolts with liquid wrench.

Then I'm good to go? (Have the exhaust shop do the rest?)

Last edited by SouthernRex; 03-28-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yep. Coupla things:

There is a vacuum port on the intake for the AIR that you will have to cap off.

The stock exhaust manifold gaskets work fine with headers. This has been demonstrated by many, many guys. Mine have been on my headers for 90+k miles and a total of 153k miles with no issues.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

keep blasting the exhaust manifold bolts every couple days to help them break free. Very easy to snap the exhaust studs.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yyyyyeaaaah, so they want $650 for the headers + any expenses for fabbing the pipes and cutting to make the Y-pipe fit. I'm starting to think I should do this myself. Do you guys know what I should be looking for in a Y pipe to mate longtubes to a Borla catback?

Quick Reply: Headers/Y-Pipe/Catback questions