Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 TransAm EGR/A.I.R. Delete; exhaust smell, questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1998 TransAm EGR/A.I.R. Delete; exhaust smell, questions

I just deleted the EGR and A.I.R. Pump in my 1998 Trans Am. I bought seals and all, and after a few hours of cursing and drinking, I got everything out. After everything was done, the car seems to idle OK, but there is a nasty exhaust smell from the front of my car. Of course, my first thought is that we didn't properly seal one of the emission provisions, but there was pretty strong wind when we tested the motor, and on a second run several hours later... there was no smell.

I'm asking on here mainly because I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. I can always seal up the provisions if I have to, and worst case scenario... off-road headers are going in soon...

Here's the checklist of what I did, and remember this is a 1998 A.I.R. which is different from the final years.

*Removed EGR with two bolts against the engine block.
*Removed EGR hose going into LS1 (1998) Air Intake Manifold and sealed it off with a plug.
*Removed EGR from exhaust manifold, and sealed it off with block off plate and gasket.
*Put electrical tape on EGR plug.

*Removed two bolts holding in A.I.R. Pump as well as two bolts holding in a frame with other pump parts (I don't really know where the line gets drawn here, I just followed the hoses.)
*Removed two bolts on each side of the engine (four total) to disconnect A.I.R. from the manifold.
*Cut the hose so I could snake that bullshit out.
*Put electrical tape on all of that.
*Sealed off both sides of manifold with plates and gaskets.

I mean, it would be logical that I just need to better seal my plates and gaskets, but I want to make sure with the LS1 experts here that I didn't miss some kind of vacuum line. The car is idling just normal, nothing changed except the SES light (to be expected), but I know how exhaust smells... my 1995 LT1 Camaro Z28 had a leak. lol. I read about all kinds of things to "cap off" for the A.I.R. Pump, but my understanding is that is for later year f-bodies with the different cam and LS6 air intake manifold, correct?

Quick Reply: 1998 TransAm EGR/A.I.R. Delete; exhaust smell, questions