New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP MAF opinion or is there better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP MAF opinion or is there better?

I'm just curious what everyone thinks about the MAF for a 98 Formula from SLP? Good part or just Bad luck for anyone? Link below

http://slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=23060

Or is there better out there for close to the same price?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I would say that the SLP is the best, they come all ready to put right on to your car and they are tuned, I have the SLP MAF and it works great, I could feel a difference after I put mine on too. But when you put it on, take the negative wire off the battery and make the swap, and when you put everything back on, your car may run kinda like crap, thats ok because the PCM is learning the new part, all you have to do is let it run for about 2 minutes then turn the car off and start it back up! its a great little bolt-on, and if you get it also get the bellow and the ram air kit and the air lid too, they work in great combination, have fun and good luck. ( By the way you can buy all those parts from SLP and I think they even come in a package)

This is the package I would buy with the MAF from SLP:
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off
Old 06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Yes, I was looking into the SLP MAF as well as the Cold Air Package:
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21046

I will be getting them next week so hopefully everything will be a nice upgrade. My friends in there Z06, ZR-1, & SRT-10 Viper are starting to pull away much faster now. I need more JUICE...
Old 06-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The '98-'00 will fake things a bit lean, bad for an A4
though it feels better around town. If you needed to
be leaned out at WOT it could be a bonus. If you
don't know what you need, but insist on getting an
SLP MAF anyway, get the '01-'02 since it's closer to
stock MAF calibration. Most people seem to see a
pretty negligible gain, if they gain at all.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The '98-'00 will fake things a bit lean, bad for an A4
though it feels better around town. If you needed to
be leaned out at WOT it could be a bonus. If you
don't know what you need, but insist on getting an
SLP MAF anyway, get the '01-'02 since it's closer to
stock MAF calibration. Most people seem to see a
pretty negligible gain, if they gain at all.
MAFs have always been hit and miss... While some may have good luck there are just as many that havent..

I personally think that there is no need for a MAF until you are making a but more power than stock.. When you are needing a larger TB because you are makeing more power than your stock TB will handle then perhaps you should look into a MAF.. its price alone never justifies it.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a better maf.

it came stock on the car

Ryan
Old 06-28-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

EVERY tuner I have talked to perfers tuning the car with the stock maf, screened /descreened. I ran an SLP maf descreened on my stock car with no problems, but went back to stock after the basic cam/header etc. mods.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I think that aftermarket MAF's are more trouble then they are worth. You wont see any major gains, and with the tuning involved its a pain.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:14 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
there is a better maf.

it came stock on the car

Ryan

exactly word for word what i was going to say
Old 06-29-2004, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Think about it. Your car runs like crap for a while, and then it feels SOOO much better.... duh. Of course it feels like an improvement compared to the learning process. There are 2 reasons to get a new MAF: airflow and tuning. The tuning is a shot in the dark, because that MAF has no idea what your A/F ratio is like. Airlow is a good reason, but most people don't make enough power to need a larger one. If you have over 400HP, go for the ZO6 MAF. If not, just descreen the one you have.

Ask yourself, what is an MAF? It is a sensor. It's job is to tell your computer about the air coming in. How is a unit that lies to your computer going to help you. What you are trying to do with a "tuned" MAF is get a cheap computer tune, but I can tell you there is no cheap way out. There's LSedit and HPtuner. MAFs are halfway solutions that will give you worse than halfway results.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Teching In

So all in all it would be better just to stick with the Stock MAF? Just get the Cold Air Package?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil
So all in all it would be better just to stick with the Stock MAF? Just get the Cold Air Package?
The cold air package is good, but you can get the same things cheaper elsewhere. Their package gives you cold air, air lid, air bellow, and MAF I believe.

You don't need the MAF.

Their air bellow is over priced. Check out www.airflowonline.com. They have basicly the same flex hose, but for 1/4 the cost.

Their cold air is a good system. Fast Toys makes a ram air system that is better. Also, the Free Ram Air mod works almost as well as the SLP cold air. That one is your call.

As for the air lid, they are all about the same, so get whichever one you like. SLP is the cheapest I think. I went with DirectFlo, which is the second cheapest.

I hope that helps. I'm getting ready to scrap the whole thing and make my own custom intake myself.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks
But with SLP the MAF is sold seperately from the Cold Air Package...
Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the slp maf, and have had not trouble what so ever from it. Yes it is still screened and I dont know what kind of gains I really got from the damn thing but with the whole intake package I think it was worth it. my2c
Old 06-29-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna agree and say the stock MAF is the best. I tried the SLP and my car actually made 3 more HP and 7 more ft/lbs with the STOCK MAF! Save the $$$ and buy something that will make a difference! Your stock MAF should support up to 450-500HP...
Old 06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stick with the stock MAF. Also don't descreen it either. The Stock MAF is good for atleast 700 cfm (can't recall what it really is, but this would be the least amount it would flow). The air laminator smooths out the the low speed air comming in to the MAF at idle or slow cruising. This allows for an accurate measurement of the air to correctly guage the amount of air comming in.
Also if you are using a programmer like a Hypertech or Diablo Sport, Don't increase the MAF. The programming and the aftermarket MAF will be trying to do the same thing, which is to lean the A/F out. They can easily confict causing you to detonate which will cost power. I have a Grannetelli Z06 MAF and am looking to go back to stock because of the tunning problems it is causing.
Look at the big cube guy's and the FI guy's. Most have not needed to upgradse the stock MAF yet.
Just look through out the website and you will find some of this info spred throughout .
Old 06-29-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yea. The Smooth Bellow and Cold Air kits are definetly worth it. By decreasing the Air temp 30 deg, the computer will bump timming to compesate which will increase power.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Ok, I'm cool with that. Leaving the Stock MAF on & getting/installing the Cold Air Package w/ Smooth Bellow will be my goal this week.

Thanks All...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
master of the "jack"stand

If I wasn't planning on having my car tuned, then I would stick with the stocker. My car had a SLP MAF when I got it, but I still had the stock MAF. I asked my tuner which he prefered before I took the car in for tuning after a cam install. He said to put the SLP unit on if I had one. It seems like the aftermarket MAFS are only worth it if you tune them properly. I made 412 RWHP on a stock headed car with the SLP MAF and bolt ons.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Pace MAF and it was worth 1.5 mph and 2.1 tenths at the track. That was three back to back runs with both stock and Pace. Both are descreened. When I dynoed the car I forgot the stock MAF so I can't compare rwhp numbers. The car was running in the 11.5:1 afr range with the Pace though. But the stock MAF drives a hundred times better. I am installing gears and have installed the LS6 manifold so I will give each MAF a try again at the track. I will post results when I have them.