Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Delete, Headers, & Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Delete, Headers, & Tuned

I keep popping a fuse with my air pump, the fuse under the hood. So I figured I would just delete the AIR pump and its mess of hoses. So I have been reading that I need Manifold plates and a plug for the vacuum line. Since I need Manifold plates I figured on just getting race heads. My question is, what would be the best bolt on headers that match up to the rest of the factory exhaust system. Might change the rest later but for now, just headers. Now since I deleted that AIR pump crap, the SES light is on. I seen it can be deleted with a tuner. My other questions is, could I just get a mail in tune for the headers and to delete the SES AIR pump codes? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you need to get an aftermarket Y-pipe to match the headers, but I could be wrong. A TON of people recommend Frost for mail order tunes, he has a very happy customer base.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Default Air Delete, Headers, & Tuned

I keep popping a fuse with my air pump, the fuse under the hood. So I figured I would just delete the AIR pump and its mess of hoses. So I have been reading that I need Manifold plates and a plug for the vacuum line. Since I need Manifold plates I figured on just getting race heads. My question is, what would be the best bolt on headers that match up to the rest of the factory exhaust system. Might change the rest later but for now, just headers. Now since I deleted that AIR pump crap, the SES light is on. I seen it can be deleted with a tuner. My other questions is, could I just get a mail in tune for the headers and to delete the SES AIR pump codes? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You just copy and pasted your first post...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacExcitement
There are no long tube headers that bolt up to the stock Y-pipe. You can get shorty headers that will but you will be leaving quite a bit of power on the table and will hurt/limit your future choices on mods as you can only do Y-pipes that bolt to shorty headers or custom y-pipe/true duels that bolt to the shorty headers. Save up enough to do LT headers and Ypipe all at once and be done with it. Then you can get a mail order tune or real dyno tune to turn off codes and make the car run properly.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Teching In

I don't know why it did that. Thank you for the info. Now I need a tuner for the computer which I see is expensive and also need one just for the 98 TA. I take it LT headers are expensive.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can get LT headers brand new for under $300
Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Teching In

That's not too bad. Is that from eBay or one of these sponsors?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Anyone know of a good tuner and where to get one for a good price?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If i remember right Speed Enginnering makes them for under $300. They are stainless steel as well
Old 08-20-2017, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacExcitement
I don't know why it did that. Thank you for the info. Now I need a tuner for the computer which I see is expensive and also need one just for the 98 TA. I take it LT headers are expensive.
No, in some cases LT headers are cheaper than shorties. Try searching.
Also for a tuner, hand helds are not worth it as they are very limited on what they can do, so if you want to mod further you will need a real tune anyway. Your choices are either get a real dyno tune from a professional tuner or buy real tuning software (like HPtuners or EFIlive) and learn to tune yourself.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think every LS owner should own HP TUNERS. Yes $500 is a lot but it will save you a lot in the long run plus you make more friends ;-) I removed my EGR and AIR pump and the software lets you go through thousands of options and it will permanently remove EGR and AIR pump ENGINE LIGHT so it will never go back on but you can change the setting in the future and change the sensitivity as well of engine codes. You can read your engine live and record it while driving and change transmissions settings on the fly but I strongly believe you should not touch the Transmission settings if you have a stock tranny or has high miles. I have LT's and they are Hooker brand. Great headers.

Last edited by 1999ls1sscamaro; 09-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Delete, Headers, & Tuned