Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Widebands

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Widebands

So I am still new with the fuel injection performance thing. with that being said I understand that the Wideband measures the Air/Fuel ratio in each bank of the engine to see at a glance weather the car is running rich or lean.
( I think that's correct...correct me if I am wrong)

with that being said at what point is something like a Widwband setup needed? I am in the process of working on getting parts together over this winter to do some upgrades to my car such as Heads, Cam, and Intake with nitrous up next.

after the Heads cam and intake are done I will take the car somewhere to get it tuned on a dyno.

so at what point do I need to invest in a Wideband. and when that time comes what one do you all suggest to get
Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well of course it's not actually "needed" but it's a smart thing to have, and the more modded you are the more important it becomes. With that said I got one a few months ago because I wanted that extra insurance just in case something went wrong
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Need is the operative word here. If you have a decent tuner and plan on always paying them for your tunes you won't need one. If you ever plan on doing it yourself you absolutely do. Want is a different question...
Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need one. Its always good to have especially with any type of power adder.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Most people only run 1 wide band in a central pipe so they get an overall reading. If you want to monitor each bank you'll need to run two, one in each header or pipe before any H, X, or Y pipe.

It's a nice tool to have to monitor your air fuel. I've ran all motor, nitrous, and turbo setups without them, but always wished I had one. But I never had a failure due to going lean either. I did always use a narrow band (stock 02 sensor with a A/F gauge) and I had a general idea of rich or lean but I knew what I was looking for too.

If you're going H/C/I and nitrous, I'd get one if you got the money. If you have a fuel system issue you'll see it on the gauge before you pop the motor (hopefully).
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

so do you all have any opinions of a good setup to get
Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is the #4397 Autometer. It's on the more expensive side, but it has multiple capabilities that I might use down the road
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seemed my car was running fine with a wide band and fuel pressure looking good. Getting into some hot weather I could hear detonation at times. Went to colder plugs and some high octane fuel. That got rid of the pining. But I wanted to know why. Hp tuners saved me an expensive build. Well worth the money. The duty cycle on my 42lbs injectors jumped up to 108% at over 6400 rpm. My best runs were shifting at 7200. Just not enough time for the wideband to show me anything, Yet I did hear it. It did not show on my deto graph because of the sensor location change I had to make going from ls1 to ls2 block.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default EGO vs UEGO Sensor Requirement

Hi Luke, your Wideband (UEGO) requirement AND that cost may not be best for your case ?

I have used both the EGO & UEGO sensors for over thirty years with great success.
The NTK "four wire" sensor, the Hot Start Sensor, could work fine for your needs within a range of 12.5-16 AFR.
This could be installed in the "X" pipe, then connect to a dash LED readout.
That cost is in the $100.00 range.
The "dual" bank/bank read would require TWO sensors and dual LED readouts are required.

These are items I can provide at low cost.

I do manufacture a UEGO sensor driver with CAN 2.0B interface (Bosch 3.1 MS Words) and a 0-1 volt, 0-5 volt, RS-232 outputs.
GUI software is included for Laptop reads and data logging is easy.

This device costs $400.00.

Provide more information about you needs such as engine "mods", operational mode, cost requirements.

Lance
Old 10-13-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I use an NGK for tuning other cars, and have an autometer hard mounted in my car.

200 from summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...SABEgIDQvD_BwE

Quick Reply: Question on Widebands