Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to identify what engine I have

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to identify what engine I have

My son has (suppose to be out of a 2007 Tahoo --6.0 litere) in my garage and he has given me the OK to put it in my 87 442. Where do I find the info on the engine to be sure what it is? It does have the tall intake. Know that will have to be changed--plus oil pan. It had a clutch fan. It has a flexplate. That is about all I know for now. I welcome any and all help. Thanks--Lee
Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Mildred Jones
My son has (suppose to be out of a 2007 Tahoo --6.0 litere) in my garage and he has given me the OK to put it in my 87 442. Where do I find the info on the engine to be sure what it is? It does have the tall intake. Know that will have to be changed--plus oil pan. It had a clutch fan. It has a flexplate. That is about all I know for now. I welcome any and all help. Thanks--Lee
The 4.8 and 5.3 blocks are marked with both numbers. The 6.0 blocks are marked with 6.0.

Start by looking for that.

A gen 3 block will have the cam sensor behind the intake at the rear of the motor, a gen 4 has the cam sensor in the front. Gen 3 motors have the knock sensors under the intake, gen 4 have them on the sides of the block near the motor mounts.

Aluminum blocks are silver, steel blocks are black.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the info--I remove the flexplate--6 .0 litre on right rear of block--I see no sensors near the motor mounts. There are 2 sensors @ rear top of block--I believe one is oil pressure, don't know what the other is--it is held down with a bracket and bolt. I assume it is gen III. From what I have learned so far it is either LQ4 or LQ9. Is this correct and how do I tell the difference? Again Thanks--Lee
Old 10-13-2017, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Lq4 motors have dished piston
Lq9 motors have flat top pistons
Old 10-16-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Mildred Jones
Thank you for the info--I remove the flexplate--6 .0 litre on right rear of block--I see no sensors near the motor mounts. There are 2 sensors @ rear top of block--I believe one is oil pressure, don't know what the other is--it is held down with a bracket and bolt. I assume it is gen III. From what I have learned so far it is either LQ4 or LQ9. Is this correct and how do I tell the difference? Again Thanks--Lee
The "other sensor" is the cam sensor, so you have a gen 3

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Lq4 motors have dished piston
Lq9 motors have flat top pistons
Yep, rotate the crank to get a piston to tdc and look for a dish or a flat top to tell which one you have
Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
The "other sensor" is the cam sensor, so you have a gen 3

Yep, rotate the crank to get a piston to tdc and look for a dish or a flat top to tell which one you have
Took the heads off. It is a LQ4. Thanks to all who replied. Lee

Quick Reply: how to identify what engine I have