Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Altitude driving / tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Hi Altitude driving / tuning?

if living and working in a town at about 7000ft and taking weekend trips down to lower elevations would it be best to leave a car NA or could I run a supercharger with no adverse effects? my biggest concern would be the tuning on whether or not the computer would adjust accordingly to the air pressure changes.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to live in Colorado (Denver and CO Springs) which was approximately 6000 ft elevation. I would make a trip to Nebraska couple times a year (approx. 1300ft elevation) on my motorcycle. I had a wideband datalogger and was able to view the AFR. Definitely a huge change, coming off the mountain (or 6k foothills) and also going back up. I used to have to stop and load in a new map.

You would need two tunes, then load them accordingly. Easy to do with laptop on board, or perhaps a handheld tuner.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

if all goes well i'll be looking at either getting back into another LS Firehawk or joining the C6 club. i'm not looking for monster power. my old turbocharged LT1hawk was putting down about 550 and I was happy with that.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is how I should have written my question..

There is a good chance I'll be moving to Northern New Mexico. elevation: 7000+ft. My question for when I get another LS Firehawk or a C6 mostly for daily driving with lower elevation changes and looking for 500+'ish-rwhp. Could I do a Supercharger or turbo with one tune? or sacrificing the desired 500+, Would a heads and cam job be more recommend for at least a little more power then stock?
Old 10-27-2017, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default BARO Comp

Hi Hawk, I manufacture engine controls that some use in BAJA "off road" races. (desert)
These races start at sea level go to 10K feet, then end in Reno, NV.
I fit a MAP and BARO sensor on the ECU. (internal)

The OEM GM calibrations are tested at ALL Altitudes in the USA.
They too have BARO correction mainly by MAF and a BARO sensor.

Your first question : At 7K feet the supercharged engine would work much better than a N/A engine.

What boost PSI would you run ?

Lance
Old 10-27-2017, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Hawk, I manufacture engine controls that some use in BAJA "off road" races. (desert)
These races start at sea level go to 10K feet, then end in Reno, NV.
I fit a MAP and BARO sensor on the ECU. (internal)

The OEM GM calibrations are tested at ALL Altitudes in the USA.
They too have BARO correction mainly by MAF and a BARO sensor.

Your first question : At 7K feet the supercharged engine would work much better than a N/A engine.

What boost PSI would you run ?

Lance
thank you sir.. as far as what psi, I have no idea. probably low boost. my concern is more in the ECU on recalibrating the A/F ratio for the drastic elevation changes. i can't remember what my old sts turbo car was tuned for. pretty sure it was tuned for 4500'ish-ft. i can't remember how it ran at sea level when i was in cali. drove like one heck of a monster though
Old 10-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The MAF will compensate for those changes, so on a stock car you'd have nothing to worry about. The problem comes about because a lot of boosted applications go MAFless. Speed density in your scenario would likely require some sophisticated tuning.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The MAF will compensate for those changes, so on a stock car you'd have nothing to worry about. The problem comes about because a lot of boosted applications go MAFless. Speed density in your scenario would likely require some sophisticated tuning.
yeeeeeahhhh... this is a dead topic (maybe useful to someone else though(?) . I talked to the guy who built my turbo'ed hawk and he said the same thing. That car was running the oem MAF and tuned for WOT at 20psi but was only running about 10 until I got used to the power so it ran a bit richer. good times! Now hopefully I land the job!

Quick Reply: Hi Altitude driving / tuning?