My first F-body, what to look for? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first F-body, what to look for?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mount Vernon IL
Posts: 3
Default My first F-body, what to look for?

hey guys, I just bought my first f-body, a 01 Z28 A4. Has 142000 on it all stock except for a flow master muffler. Any things I should look for in these cars?
Willis454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6
Default

Make sure there are no leaks, lighting problems not sure if the camaros are as bad as my trans am. Should be a great car if it was took care of.
BabyPye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 560
Default

Sail Panel bubbling paint, tail lights leak water, electric window motors, "T" top leaks. Just a few annoyances I can think of off the top of my head. GREAT cars! Just keep up with the maintenance.
cookseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Launching!
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookseyb View Post
Sail Panel bubbling paint [...]
Good luck at fixing that if he has that problem. No new ones out there. Really sucks because I can see issues with mine if looking at it in the right angle, so I've parked the car from daily driving. I'm on panel number four. I wish GM would produce a batch of them; I'd purchase three of them.
2002 SS #476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (24)
 
5.7stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476 View Post
Good luck at fixing that if he has that problem. No new ones out there. Really sucks because I can see issues with mine if looking at it in the right angle, so I've parked the car from daily driving. I'm on panel number four. I wish GM would produce a batch of them; I'd purchase three of them.
repaint?
5.7stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 3
Default

Definitely make sure your T-top seals are in good condition. My old 01 Z28 used to leak bad. Rubbing vaseline on them every week helped the leaking.
Slow-WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 24,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476 View Post
I'm on panel number four. I wish GM would produce a batch of them; I'd purchase three of them.
Why so many panels? All it takes is proper underside prep and they will last indefinitely - just like the '93 to mid-'98 cars did from the factory. I had the panel replaced on my '02 back in '07 with a new OEM unit following the TSB directions and the panel was still perfect as of a couple years ago when I sold the car. It was daily driven and parked outside almost exclusively during that period as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7stroker View Post
repaint?
Not an option, the issue will simply return. If you have a '99+ 4th gen (or a very late '98) then the roof will need to be replaced to properly correct this problem. Here's a link to further details:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #8
TECH Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Braden River, Florida
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
Why so many panels? All it takes is proper underside prep and they will last indefinitely - just like the '93 to mid-'98 cars did from the factory. I had the panel replaced on my '02 back in '07 with a new OEM unit following the TSB directions and the panel was still perfect as of a couple years ago when I sold the car. It was daily driven and parked outside almost exclusively during that period as well.



Not an option, the issue will simply return. If you have a '99+ 4th gen (or a very late '98) then the roof will need to be replaced to properly correct this problem. Here's a link to further details:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
Wow this is very disheartening...........I noticed a small bubble on my 30th today
JCS30TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
TECH Addict
 
98CayenneT/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: White Bear, Mn
Posts: 2,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis454 View Post
hey guys, I just bought my first f-body, a 01 Z28 A4. Has 142000 on it all stock except for a flow master muffler. Any things I should look for in these cars?
If you look at the bottom of the front fenders and they stick out a little further than your door panels it's because some dim wits think it's fine to lift them by the pinch rail which ends up folding over and pushing the bottom of the fender out. You can suck it back in by gently straightening the pinch rail back out.
98CayenneT/A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #10
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: VA
Posts: 56
Default

Throw some bolt on Subframe connectors underneath the car do to the unibody you can actually flex these cars and then the body panels wont line up like the fender and door you'll actually see a gap
Guuseppe'sTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:34 AM   #11
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 24,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guuseppe'sTA View Post
Throw some bolt on Subframe connectors underneath the car do to the unibody you can actually flex these cars and then the body panels wont line up like the fender and door you'll actually see a gap
Chassis flex is not the reason for the gap, the actual reason was already covered by 98CayenneT/A in his post above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A View Post
If you look at the bottom of the front fenders and they stick out a little further than your door panels it's because some dim wits think it's fine to lift them by the pinch rail which ends up folding over and pushing the bottom of the fender out. You can suck it back in by gently straightening the pinch rail back out.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: VA
Posts: 56
Default

My fault your right I had a nice set of BMR 4 point subframe connectors bolted in and I just feel like its a nice insurance for when you make future power.
Guuseppe'sTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #13
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mount Vernon IL
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks guys, I'm a paint and body guy, so I'm not too worried about the cosmetic stuff, it does seem to have a small oil leak from the rear of the engine. Drips on front left cat while running. Not sure if this is a easy fix or if the dreaded rear main leak is starting. Either way the car is very clean and I'm excited to finally have a ls1 powered F-body.
Willis454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #14
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mount Vernon IL
Posts: 3
Default

Quick question though, how do I enable the third party deal on here to be able to see more pics. I'm trying to find a picture of an orange camaro with deep dish c6 z06 wheels.
Willis454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #15
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 24,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis454 View Post
Thanks guys, I'm a paint and body guy, so I'm not too worried about the cosmetic stuff
Those roof panels are still pretty expensive, even if you do all the labor yourself. Getting some of them to fit right might take some work but, if you happen to be a fiberglass specialist, you'd also have the option of fabricating a custom replacement panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis454 View Post
it does seem to have a small oil leak from the rear of the engine. Drips on front left cat while running. Not sure if this is a easy fix or if the dreaded rear main leak is starting.
This isn't much of a concern with an auto car, unless the leak is so bad that you're adding oil constantly. It's a bigger deal with the manuals since the oil can work its way to the clutch. I didn't bother to ever fix this on my '02 A4 car, it never left more than a few drips here and there; didn't get any worse even after several years and wasn't worth the cost or hassle to repair.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis454 View Post
hey guys, i just bought my first f-body, a 01 z28 a4. Has 142000 on it all stock except for a flow master muffler. Any things i should look for in these cars?
everything!
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #17
On The Tree
 
Number Tew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Orlando
Posts: 121
Default

The old plagues everyone always jokes about:

Window motors

Cracked door panels and dash boards

Changing spark plugs (just changed them - PO changed 1-7 but left 8 OEM because they are babies!)

And as people mentioned the leaky T-Tops and the sail panel issue. If you're lucky your sail panel may have already been fixed!
Number Tew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #18
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
Those roof panels are still pretty expensive, even if you do all the labor yourself. Getting some of them to fit right might take some work but, if you happen to be a fiberglass specialist, you'd also have the option of fabricating a custom replacement panel.



This isn't much of a concern with an auto car, unless the leak is so bad that you're adding oil constantly. It's a bigger deal with the manuals since the oil can work its way to the clutch. I didn't bother to ever fix this on my '02 A4 car, it never left more than a few drips here and there; didn't get any worse even after several years and wasn't worth the cost or hassle to repair.
Crazy idea but do you think it would be possible to 3D Print and clone a Sail Panel while its still on the car? Mine is doing this too and I know removing it usually means completely destroying it.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #19
On The Tree
 
Ls1Ryan2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 124
Default

I used reference to what a member had said when I was looking at my first F Body, found quite a bit of what he said to be the problems, here's what he suggested looking at.

- Differential is very clunky, whiny, and leaky
- Window motors are slow but still functional
- Some minor interior rattles, vibrations, wind noise
- Chrome plating on the wheels is flaking
- Lifter tick
- A/C compressor clutch chatters when A/C is off
- Noise from driver side rear suspension in cold weather

High mileage cars or cars that have been driven hard can have additional problems...

- Oil consumption & or oil leaks
- Worn out shocks
- Leaky t-tops
- Sagging doors
- More interior rattles
- Bubbling (Sail Panel)
- Worn out and exposed seat padding
- Loss of power and fuel economy
- Cracked dash pad
- Original 60e will often slip, specifically the 2nd to 3rd shift, mine started to slip at 79k miles, but I believe the previous owner was very hard on the car.

Overall these cars are great to own, easy and cheap to mod, and have plenty of parts on the market if anything needs replaced. Good luck with your car!

Last edited by Ls1Ryan2002; 12-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Ls1Ryan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 24,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Crazy idea but do you think it would be possible to 3D Print and clone a Sail Panel while its still on the car? Mine is doing this too and I know removing it usually means completely destroying it.
I'm not experienced with 3D printing, but if you're using the original as a template then I would think you'd need to have it off the car to properly capture all the contours/edges. They can be removed in one piece using a wire cutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Ryan2002 View Post
- Rust (Sail Panel)
There are no issues with rust on the sail panel. The bubbling issue is not rust related nor is the panel able to rust (fiberglass/SMC).
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello From IL EABLZR2 Introductions & Greetings 2 04-04-2017 01:34 PM
New to domestics derekdiggler83 Introductions & Greetings 1 10-18-2016 11:43 AM
Best Wheels for a F-Body? Ls1Ryan2002 Wheels & Tires 40 10-10-2016 10:00 AM
NOOB Here OutsiderZ28 Introductions & Greetings 1 09-19-2016 03:07 PM
Anybody driift an F-body? CamaroWhoopAss LT1-LT4 Modifications 18 07-19-2016 02:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: