Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to list: Converting 94 GMC1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to list: Converting 94 GMC1500

Hello, I am new to the list. I operate an auto salvage but I have never salvaged a LT1 or LS1. I am contemplating converting my old 94 GMC1500 xcab (nice old truck) to something MFI with more horsepower and decent MPG for a daily driver. I have even seen posted that a 5.3, which are very plentiful, is a good choice for conversion. I would like to use my transmission and as much of my existing wiring harness as possible.
Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

Randy
Old 07-02-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is no way to keep the wiring harness, on any swap from that old tbi motor you have to use the new stuff, on a truck the swap should not be that hard, you can keep the 700r4 trans in there, for more info on that visit the swap section, a 5.3l would be a great choice.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hourang
there is no way to keep the wiring harness, on any swap from that old tbi motor you have to use the new stuff, on a truck the swap should not be that hard, you can keep the 700r4 trans in there, for more info on that visit the swap section, a 5.3l would be a great choice.
Yes sir I undersatnd I will have to change the under hood wiring harness although I would like to retain the underdash harness and use a complete pull-out engine with all accessories (more than likely anyway). I have heard it said that the best and easiest way is to install another computer under the hood to retain the underdash harness. But was wondering if it is possible to plug the new brain into the old underdash harness. I have a 4L60E trans in my truck so I may have to keep the old brain also to make it operate correctly ??? Fabricating brackets or mounts if needed will not be a problem since I am used to doing that.
Being new to the list I cannot find the swap section. Thanks for the response

Randy
Old 07-02-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by salvageer
Yes sir I undersatnd I will have to change the under hood wiring harness although I would like to retain the underdash harness and use a complete pull-out engine with all accessories (more than likely anyway). I have heard it said that the best and easiest way is to install another computer under the hood to retain the underdash harness. But was wondering if it is possible to plug the new brain into the old underdash harness. I have a 4L60E trans in my truck so I may have to keep the old brain also to make it operate correctly ??? Fabricating brackets or mounts if needed will not be a problem since I am used to doing that.
Being new to the list I cannot find the swap section. Thanks for the response

Randy
ls1s use the 4l60e as well, should bolt right up. not sure on the harness swap, im sure it can be done.

conversion section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/