New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen. 4 F-body Exhaust options...where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts
Question Gen. 4 F-body Exhaust options...where to start?

So, I have been reading on here and doing some research on exhaust systems. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for though. I'm looking for a COMPLETE exhaust system. I'm talking headers to echo tips. I don't want to do any welding though. I don't mind using a hacksaw here and there, but I don't want to do any major mods to the body or suspension. I'm also not bending any tubes. I need a "bolt-on" exhaust system that will *fit* my car. Does such a thing exist?

The goal is to get more hp (obviously). It must be street legal though. This is my daily driver, and I plan to keep it at stock ride height.

Is there a complete "bolt-on" exhaust kit for the Gen. 4 F-bodies/LS-1? I wouldn't mind mixing brands, as long as everything fits together.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you looking to spend. There are quite a few options out there. Best advice is to stay with one companies products. This will usually help with things not fitting or being mismatched. At least when purchasing Header/Intermediate Pipe. That said, I actually use American Racing headers with their catted y pipe, along with the Hooker Aerochamber catback. Fit together perfect. Yes these are mixed brands, but if you do your homework, you can piece together a setup. More Importance should be spent on staying with one companies headers and Intermediate pipe. Most catbacks will work or can be made to work. You can also opt for true duals, but they will be considerably louder for the most part. Most popular budget minded complete systems will come from TSP or Speed Engineering.

Last edited by black sky; 01-13-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had a few setups since I've had my car. From all stock, manifolds with a Borla, Kooks catted-y and LT's with a Borla, and now finally Kooks LT's and true duals. I have to say nothing beats TD's. They aren't cheap but they sound best by far and I pass emissions since their catted. I don't DD the car and I know many people claim the system is too loud so that might deter me if I were in your situation. I have stock internals at the moment but it might get too loud with H/C/I. Stock ride height helps you with any choice. If I'm going the catback route I would still look into either Kooks or ARH for long tubes and a catted-Y. Catback sound is really subjective and clips won't do anything justice. If you can, hear it in person. Last thing I'll add is your budget will definitely be a big factor in your choice..
Old 01-13-2018, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

I am running Kooks stainless long tube headers with their y-pipe and high flow cats complete with O2 sensors but had to buy extensions for the wiring to hook up the rear ones. For mufflers SLP the quieter ones that have 4 tips on the back.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm willing to spend $600-$800 on pipes. I figured the headers and cats would be another $400-$600. So, about $1000-$1400 for a complete system? Does that sound right? I'm willing to spend a "reasonable" amount on the exhaust.

I really like the SLP Cat-back Loudmouth II set-up. I just wasn't sure what, if anything, would fit to it. I know they have a front section (mid-pipe?) that can go with it, but I'm not sure if it will connect to any headers.

My other concern was with the O2 sensors. I have 2ea O2 sensors behind the cats. I would need the new exhaust system to accommodate that.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Im running Pacesetter long tubes with their matching ORY (had a FM merge welded in place of the Pacesetter merge) and a Magnaflow 14419 bullet muffler into a SLP catback. Kind of a mix of parts but it has a nice seep tone, very little rasp, and is pretty loud overall
Old 01-13-2018, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Utinator
I'm willing to spend $600-$800 on pipes. I figured the headers and cats would be another $400-$600. So, about $1000-$1400 for a complete system? Does that sound right? I'm willing to spend a "reasonable" amount on the exhaust.

I really like the SLP Cat-back Loudmouth II set-up. I just wasn't sure what, if anything, would fit to it. I know they have a front section (mid-pipe?) that can go with it, but I'm not sure if it will connect to any headers.

My other concern was with the O2 sensors. I have 2ea O2 sensors behind the cats. I would need the new exhaust system to accommodate that.
Regarding O2 sensors..the two sensors after the cats(post-cat) are for the most part not needed. All they do is monitor the catalytic convertors. They will not disrupt any emissions tests as long as they are tuned out or set to "No Report". They can be removed and plugged. You can choose to install O2 sims as well. The two "pre-cat" sensors should be your main concern, but most long tube headers will have bungs welded in for their placement.

Quick Reply: Gen. 4 F-body Exhaust options...where to start?