Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Tune Update?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Tune Update?

My 98 z28 was dyno tuned at a shop in CT in 2006. (Previous owner)Very few miles put on it since then. Would it be beneficial to have it retuned since it’s 11 years later? I’m thinking maybe there has been some updates and improvements in LS1 tuning since then. It made 376 RWHP at the time. I think there is some more to be squeezed out of it.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Will that shop verify that they actually tuned it? Did the previous owner do any mods after it was tuned?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Beneficial in what way? Are there driveability issues that you think could be better sorted out, or are you just hoping for more power from he setup?

Some tuners are better than others, so even if the tune was only 6 months old you might get some better power numbers from a retune with someone else. Or they may just have a more liberal dyno operator. Or there might be no change at all.

What are the details of the setup? I'm assuming at least a cam plus normal bolt-ons? A dyno tune is expensive so unless the number (or, more importantly, track performance) seems particularly low for the setup, I wouldn't pay for a retune unless there are driveability issues or you've made changes to the setup. If A/F and timing are good, and the car drives without hiccups, then bang for the buck on a retune likely won't be worth it.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Will that shop verify that they actually tuned it? Did the previous owner do any mods after it was tuned?
I have the dyno sheets from 2006 from the shop. No mods after the tune
Old 01-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Thank you
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Beneficial in what way? Are there driveability issues that you think could be better sorted out, or are you just hoping for more power from he setup?

Some tuners are better than others, so even if the tune was only 6 months old you might get some better power numbers from a retune with someone else. Or they may just have a more liberal dyno operator. Or there might be no change at all.

What are the details of the setup? I'm assuming at least a cam plus normal bolt-ons? A dyno tune is expensive so unless the number (or, more importantly, track performance) seems particularly low for the setup, I wouldn't pay for a retune unless there are driveability issues or you've made changes to the setup. If A/F and timing are good, and the car drives without hiccups, then bang for the buck on a retune likely won't be worth it.
Guess my signature didn’t show up on original post. I’ll paste it below. No driveability issues. Can be a little fussy on cold idle. Will sometime stall. Previous owner said he asked shop to keep idle speed as low as possible to feel and hear cam. Idles fine when warm. Here are the mods: 6 Speed, Futral F14 Cam 232/234 .600/.600, Patriot Gold Dual Valve Springs w/ Titanium Retainers, Futral Chromemoly Pushrods, Texas Speed Ported LS6 Oil Pump, 160 Degree T-Stat, K&N CAI, Pacesetter Long Tube s/s Headers, Texas Speed Off Road Y Pipe / Flowmaster Muffler, Hollow Cat, QTP Electric Exhaust Cut Out Valve, Prothane Motor Mounts, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Lakewood LCA’s w/ Traction Bars, Nitto Drag Radials, Line Lock.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mystic98Z
I have the dyno sheets from 2006 from the shop. No mods after the tune
Based on what you're saying I think you're fine. If it were me I'd get a AFR gauge just to have though
Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Based on what you're saying I think you're fine. If it were me I'd get a AFR gauge just to have though
Cool, thanks. I’ll just leave it alone for now. Was thinking of doing LS6 intake at some point but I’ll leave her be for now. I do have an AFR gauge in the a-pillar. I’ll start paying more attention to it...
Old 01-25-2018, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mystic98Z
Cool, thanks. I’ll just leave it alone for now. Was thinking of doing LS6 intake at some point but I’ll leave her be for now. I do have an AFR gauge in the a-pillar. I’ll start paying more attention to it...
Perfect! As long as your AFR is good and its not knocking or anything weird, then im sure you are fine.

Quick Reply: Old Tune Update?