New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on a LS build, LC9 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a LS build, LC9 5.3

Thank you everyone who can help me with this. So I am a mechanic and i just picked up a 2010 LC9 motor through work. All aluminum 5.3 had a misfire on number 6 ended up being a bad DOD lifter. This motor has DOD and VVT. I would like to swap it into my 68 C10 and make a daily out of it. This is my first LS buid and I am having a hard time finding good resources for info. I am wondering if there is a camshaft I can use that will go along with a DOD delete kit but keep the VVT? I saw a post response on here saying to use a GM# 12625437 camshaft because it supposedly was used in the gen IV vans 4.8 that had VVT but no DOD. I just know you have to swap the cam or you will get misfires at an idle and sounds like there is a special hole in the number 2 cam bearing to supply oil to the VVT phaser. I keep finding conflicting specs for this cam, some saying it has a single bolt that can be used with a VVT cam gear and some says its a single bolt that is not for VVT. I thought the 3 bolt cam was the only non VVT. I do have HP tuners as well to complete the DOD delete. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM

I do have access to Alldata and when i look up a 2010 motor with DOD and VVT it shows a 12625436 cam which does do both. Then i looked up a 2010 van with only VVT and it shows a 12625437 cam which from what i can tell is only a VVT. Would still like other advice if anyone has any. Thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sureness the VVT is only for running E85. I'd just delete it as well buy a front cover for NON VVT and regular cam gear.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Give TSP a call. They can work with you for the VVT as well as a phaser limiter which you will want to have in there if you do change to a bigger, badder VVT cam. I think the stock limit is almost 60* or something crazy like that. If you go for a longer duration cam, then you'll have to limit that down to the change in duration from stock. A few companies make the new cams, but TSP would be the first one I'd call.

TSP also sells a VVT delete kit... Not saying, but just saying. There are advantages to VVT, I realize, but really big and nasty cams don't leave a lot of room for movement, since they are practically maxed out already.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks for your responses guys, I will definatley see what TSP says for the VVT. I dont necessarily want a bigger cam just a stock replacement that I can drop in my C10 and daily. Later on down the road I will most likely get a bigger VVT cam or just delete it.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on a LS build, LC9 5.3