Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune now or later

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tune now or later

I have a 2000 camaro SS, only mod so far is a lid but I have a LS6 intake and injectors (28#) to put on. I also plan to do LT/ORY this spring.

My question is would it be ok to run a mail tune for all mods (Lid, intake, injectors, LT/ORY) with only the lid, intake and larger injectors installed? Not sure how fast I can get to the LT and I'd prefer not to have any down time waiting on multiple tunes. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mmm88ta; 02-14-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes that would be fine
Old 02-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I should have noted also I'll be going with an ORY along with the LT (edited the op to reflect this)

Still ok?

From what I've read the intake side effects the tune more then the exhaust.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some guys don't even get their **** tuned after doing all of that. You'll be fine.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get the tune after you install both the LS6 intake and LT's to get the most for your tuning $. The car will run fine with either or both until you get your tune. I don't think you need to bother with the injectors unless yours are faulty.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A tune would be beneficial, but not mandatory at this point. The only bugaboo I see could be the injectors. Even though they aren't much bigger than your existing, I would wait on those until you are ready to load a tune that covers everything. Like another poster mentioned, your mod list and power level would not immediately require a larger injector. Thats not to say you can't install bigger injectors, I would just feel more comfortable with having the injector data and IFR optomized. I'm sure the ecu could pick up the slack from the difference, but why take a chance.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies, I only planned on swapping the injectors because they came with the LS6 intake I bought, they are easy enough to hold off on though.

What's the typical turnaround time on a mail order tune? I was leaning towards tuning ahead of time because I can live without the car during these colder months, I know I'll want to drive it once it warms up. Unfortunately I don't have a garage to work in so I'm forced to wait until spring to comfortably work on the car.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mmm88ta
Thanks for the replies, I only planned on swapping the injectors because they came with the LS6 intake I bought, they are easy enough to hold off on though.

What's the typical turnaround time on a mail order tune? I was leaning towards tuning ahead of time because I can live without the car during these colder months, I know I'll want to drive it once it warms up. Unfortunately I don't have a garage to work in so I'm forced to wait until spring to comfortably work on the car.
Ask the mail order tuner if they have a deposit/core style of business. It's been so long that I can't remember, however I believe I paid extra as a deposit for a mail order tune and was refunded when I sent my stock PCM back after receiving my tuned PCM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, do you remember who you used? Who are the prefered vendors? Frost?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Our turn around time is typical 2-3 business days. We also sell used pcms that you could get the tune done on and not have any down time.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sure I could recommend someone.....the guy above me. Lol Great service and always around to answer customer and member questions.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you
Old 02-15-2018, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO I would not spend the money on a tune just yet sense the lid is really your only mod, I would spend the money else where on anther mod so that you don't have to keep retuning do everything in one shot, I did intake, lid, headers, xpipe and TB and did not do a tune until I did my 4k converter
Old 02-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

I would tune for the lid, ls6 and LT (maybe injectors), not just the lid. Wouldn't that be worth it?

btw, mine's a m6 so i won't have to do a converter
Old 02-15-2018, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would tune for the lid, ls6 and LT (maybe injectors), not just the lid. Wouldn't that be worth it?

btw, mine's a m6 so i won't have to do a converter
It will definitely wake the car up and optimize your power.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:26 PM

n00b question here...this might be a little off topic, but since he did a new intake how much does this actually change the VE of the engine? For example a cold air intake on an otherwise stock engine? Or an aftermarket manifold? I just am having trouble picturing how much this actually changes everything...

Quick Reply: Tune now or later