Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0301 Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0301 Code

I have a P0301 code that keeps returning but the car seems to have tons of power. There is some valve train ticking could that be the cause of the misfire? Is there a list of things that could possibly cause this code besides plugs, wires, and o2 sensors?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylanlars
I have a P0301 code that keeps returning but the car seems to have tons of power. There is some valve train ticking could that be the cause of the misfire? Is there a list of things that could possibly cause this code besides plugs, wires, and o2 sensors?
Have you pulled the plug to look at it? The coil, wire, spark plug, and injector can all be culprits. The o2 sensor should not be responsible for a cylinder specific misfire. One simple test that you can do (after replacing the plug because it is likely fouled) is to swap two plug wires on the same bank and to swap your coil packs from bank to bank. If your misfire code never returns, it was the plug. If your code moves to the other cylinder on the same bank, it was your wire. If the code moves to the cylinder on the other bank, it was your coil. If none of that changes anything you could start to suspect the injector or the valvetrain (rocker, pushrod, valve, lifter) for that cylinder.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you. If cylinder 1 is misfiring would I feel it or be able to hear it?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update

The code disappeared this morning with no other changes after freeway driving. Ordered new plugs and wires. Could the misfire be related to any valvetrain ticking? Not sure if my tick is exhaust leak or lifter/rocker noise. The car seemed to run well when I had the code...
Old 03-19-2018, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Lifter or wrist pin. I hope for your sake it's a lifter though. Check your oil level, and you can try some sea foam in the case of the lifter. If it's a wrist pin though, you might just be SOL. That's a rebuild.

Try carefully pulling one plug wire at a time where the noise is loudest. If the noise stops or is significantly reduced, then it's probably a wrist pin. Running it low on oil can easily smoke a wrist pin. It's not good for lifters either.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

You can also pull the valve cover and see if the preload is still good on those lifters, or if there are any other significant mechanical problems in there like obvious wear or metal particles laying around. That would indicate a bad rocker, pushrod, lifter, or combination of those.

Give a good cleaning a chance to clear it up if you don't find anything upon inspection. You can use brake cleaner and engine flush to clean it. Only run the engine at idle, for about 5 minutes. Use the brake cleaner to spray directly down the pushrods.

Then change your oil and pray.