New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby with problems with M6

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby with problems with M6

I've owned three Z28s since 1978 and my latest is a 2002 Camaro Z28 with a 6 speed manual. I found this site while searching for information on issues with the 6 speed manual and found some very similar problems. I noticed a few years ago that 3rd gear would pop out if not firmly and cleanly put in gear. Then, a year or so ago, the hydraulic master failed catastrophically with the clutch on the floor. Luckily, I was in fifth at the time on the interstate and nursed it along until I had to come to a complete stop. To get into first, I had to shut off the engine, shift into first, and hit the starter. The car lurched and I was able to restart the engine and limp home in first. My mechanic replaced the master and I was able to drive it with all gears except 3rd, which could not stay in at all. A few months later, shifting became very difficult in all gears. Replacing the master had no effect and now I'm not sure how to go about a repair. I see others that have had transmission problems and hope there is someone out there who might be able to give me some direction on where to go from here. Is the transmission worth rebuilding? How much should I expect to pay? Would it make any sense to replace the 6 speed manual with an automatic? The Chevy dealership is no help and tell me that cannot get another transmission and I'm not sure I'd want another stock transmission anyway.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Popping out of gear is common as the transmission ages. You are likely in need of a rebuild for the trans, and it is absolutely a transmission worth rebuilding if you plan to keep the car for a while longer. I have driven many fbodies, both auto and manual and there is no replacing a 6 speed for me as a driving enthusiast that rarely sees the drag strip. The cost of the rebuild will depend on what local resources you have available to you.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 PM

SS.SLP.LS1,

Thanks for the response. I've checked with a local AAMCO shop that has a very good rating and they can rebuild it but I'm looking at (worst case) $5000 for a car that has a Kelly Blue Book of maybe $8500. I had an Independent IT shop quote around $3000 but the estimate was written on a scratch pad and I don't know how seriously to take it. I'm not an aggressive driver and have owned a 1978 Z28 with a 4 speed manual and a 1985 Z28 with a 5-speed manual with over 100K on both and this 2002 only had maybe 70K on it when this problem started. I don't have a big problem with a rebuild at a reasonable cost but how can you determine if you are getting a good unit? I've heard from another thread that the Tremec T56s were made in Mexico and used inferior parts so I don't want to another T56 filled with cheap parts. Where do you even start looking for another unit?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Before spending all that $$ to have yours rebuilt you might try calling Tick Performance or RPM Transmissions and see what they could do on a new transmission since you have a core.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Since78
SS.SLP.LS1,

Thanks for the response. I've checked with a local AAMCO shop that has a very good rating and they can rebuild it but I'm looking at (worst case) $5000 for a car that has a Kelly Blue Book of maybe $8500. I had an Independent IT shop quote around $3000 but the estimate was written on a scratch pad and I don't know how seriously to take it. I'm not an aggressive driver and have owned a 1978 Z28 with a 4 speed manual and a 1985 Z28 with a 5-speed manual with over 100K on both and this 2002 only had maybe 70K on it when this problem started. I don't have a big problem with a rebuild at a reasonable cost but how can you determine if you are getting a good unit? I've heard from another thread that the Tremec T56s were made in Mexico and used inferior parts so I don't want to another T56 filled with cheap parts. Where do you even start looking for another unit?
Since you've only got 70,000 miles on the trans this sounds more like a clutch issue (the hard shifting) rather than a trans issue. The popping out of 3rd is a trans issue, but the hard shifting may not be. The pressure plate may not be full disengaging which would cause it to be harder to shift into gear, especially at higher rpms.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

SS.SLP.LS1,

wow u really are unfamiliar with the t56......but thats why ur here and we will get u straitened out. definitely do not trust getting ur t56 rebuilt thats a regular jo schmo tranny shop. im sure u got an 80% chance of it going well, but the problem is they aren't fully "specialized" with the t56. it is a rather complex manual, but still almost anyone can rebuild it. the benefit tho of getting one rebuilt by a sponsor on this website is that they know all the stuff u need to replace, all the stuff u don't need, and everything in-between. aamco aint gonna know that. most of those places will charge more than a sponsor on here, and it won't have any performance upgrades. not to mention aamco aint gonna know where to source the parts for it. parts for these are starting to disappear, thus significantly raising the price of those parts if u don't know where to source them. the sponsors do, and some of them even make the parts themselves. a good performance oriented rebuild can be had for 2500 or less from the sponsors on here
Old 03-26-2018, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

in stock form they hold up decently, but as anything else, they weren't designed to get the **** beat out of them which unfortunately most of these cars do. no clue how hard the previous owner was.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 AM

Floorman279, I am the original owner and have probably been more easy with the 2002 than the 1978 4-speed or the 1985 5-speed. In this thread, I have seen Tick Performance or RPM Transmissions mentioned as a potential source of a rebuilt transmission and each of these has multiple options available. I don't just want a rebuild that gives me the same parts I had but I want improvements in the quality. What are some of the parts options I should look for? There is one shop nearby that is listed as an installer on the RPM Transmissions site that I plan to contact to find out more about the ins and outs of a rebuilt T56.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Floorman279, I am the original owner and have probably been more easy with the 2002 than the 1978 4-speed or the 1985 5-speed. In this thread, I have seen Tick Performance or RPM Transmissions mentioned as a potential source of a rebuilt transmission and each of these has multiple options available. I don't just want a rebuild that gives me the same parts I had but I want improvements in the quality. What are some of the parts options I should look for? There is one shop nearby that is listed as an installer on the RPM Transmissions site that I plan to contact to find out more about the ins and outs of a rebuilt T56.
Sorry i missed where u said u were the original owner. As far as "hard parts", almost every performance oriented t56 build gets the stronger 2nd gear, and the steel 3-4 shift fork. Luckily all t56 got these from 2000 on got these so saves u some money? If u dont want the same parts type of rebuild, do not get it done by a local trans shop. Cause thats all they do.