Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats a COMPLETE Tune-up??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a COMPLETE Tune-up??

Hi, I recently purchased a 2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula with the 5.7L 350 V8 engine.
The car is auto but only had 80,000 miles and has absolutely no rust at all, which is why I bought it. Just needs a complete tune-up, tires and few misc. pieces to bring it back to life again...

My questions is other then an oil change, what's considered in a complete tune-up?
I know the oil and filter have less than 50 miles and the spark plugs were done recently. That's it though...what about ATF, coolant, power steering, full system flush, additives, etc.?
Thank you Firebird Nation. I will post pics once I wash the car and clean it up.

**PS I have not owned a Trans-am or Firebird for quite some time, 2011 to be exact. I had a red T-TOP 96' Trans-am with 120k with the LT1, but this car only has 80,000 with the LS1 motor. I want to take care of it but I also want it as a daily-driver. I know these motors are somewhat easy to work on that's why I'm asking. Any help would be great!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was going to say spark plugs right off the bat, but you said they have been done recently. Preventative maintenance is great. How long do you plan on keeping the car? If you plan to hold onto it for a long time, here are some things that I would consider (some of these are overkill):

check all fuses in the fuse blocks
new spark plug wires
replace/clean air filter
clean MAF w/ MAF cleaner or alcohol.
replace fuel filter
test fuel pressure under load with a fuel pressure gauge
check air hoses and PCV system for vacuum leaks, maybe a new PCV valve
flush radiator
service transmission w/ new fluid and filter
replace differential fluid
bleed brakes with all new fluid
inspect all rubber hoses for wear or leaks
inspect power steering pressure line for moisture/leaks
inspect all rubber bushings, mounts, ball joints, etc.
inspect serpentine belt for cracks
inspect all serpentine belt pulleys for squeaks or excessive wiggle/play

That's all that comes to mind right now. You could easily get carried away with the "tune up" and spend more money then necessary with no noticeable differences/improvements. I would keep it simple and stick to the necessities.
The following users liked this post:
Kenneth Allen (10-20-2020)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Before anyone else says it, your 96 was a 350, your current LS1 is 346, semantics but makes you look like a noob.

Sounds like you already know what to do though plus previous post is good, change all fluids as a baseline, do the LS6 PCV system with a catch can and don't buy anymore parts until you research this site thoroughly! (reference to your Volant intake thread).

Just to add a few notes, only use distilled water for the radiator mix, tap water leaves deposits. check plugs that they were really replaced and check gap, some people still use .060 but .045 is the GM update and what most replacements are now. As for the MAF I use the CRC specific MAF cleaner, its kinda expensive for a cleaner but a few sprays here and there and it lasts a while.
The following users liked this post:
Kenneth Allen (10-20-2020)